Yes it's lonely but does anyone else also find it boring?

(13 Posts)
feelingsik Sun 10-Nov-13 19:13:19

nearly 9 yr dc here….
DC been in a bath for a long time, I know I should get him out…or maybe not as yet grin

Pumpkinupthejam Sat 09-Nov-13 22:25:42

Whatever you do with your evenings, make the most of it. I have a nearly 10 year old who rarely goes to sleep until gone 9.

After which I crawl into bed and wonder where the evening went grin

Sasquatch75 Thu 07-Nov-13 11:52:48

PennyRoyalTea you've hit the DIY nail on the head there! It's such a buzz fixing things the ex should've done, or paid someone to do, or just accepted help from a friend!

And yes, changing things is helping. I'm having a painting party soon lol and off to pick out lino for the bathroom with the kids at the weekend.

As for dating, there is so much DIY to do, it'll prob be a year down the line!!

Hmmm what else... How about learning a musical instrument? Are you much of a gamer? Some are addictive! Candy crush on your phone? Reading?

PennyroyalTea Thu 07-Nov-13 09:26:59

Lol Sasquatch - I'm DIYing too, there is something deeply satisfying about completing the jobs the ex just never got around to doing, and I'm also enjoying changing the place to eradicate any sign he ever existed suit how I want it.

Dating shock there's something I won't be doing for a while!!

KingRollo, do have a look at blogging, it's a brilliant outlet and as you're expat (I'm assuming) your writing will have that added 'Brit Abroad' dimension smile

KingRollo Thu 07-Nov-13 08:52:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sasquatch75 Wed 06-Nov-13 23:47:44

Well tonight I've spent nearly 2 hours sewing badges on my 6 year old's beaver jumper! Lol I don't do much sewing...

And this afternoon when my mum had my youngest, I fixed the landing light switch so we can actually use it after about 2 years lol. Also started replacing the light switch covers in the house but need to go to b&q tomorrow to buy more.

I always used to love DIY and now I'm hell bent on sorting the house out. Exh wasn't much of a diy-er... But I'm loving it. Not sure what I'll do when I've finished everything! Maybe try and start dating shock

PennyroyalTea Wed 06-Nov-13 22:13:13

Kingrollo - ebay, sell stuff, I've been doing it since DD was about 12 weeks, anything she grows out of or I'm bored of goes on ebay, it fills the evenings, makes a few pee, and means I have to get out to post it all in the day time, keeps me sane confused - and the paypal account always has money in for buying shiny new stuff.

Yoga, bit of wind down yoga after getting DD down, prior to wine - marks the start of 'me' time

Knitting and crochet is good

Reading or writing blogs is great, you'd be great at writing one, but if you don't fancy it start reading others, agirlcalledjack, a cup of Jo, Dooce....3 good uns for regular and interesting posts.

JustAnotherFucker Wed 06-Nov-13 19:54:12

Aww wine for you, I promise it gets easier eventually.

MN was much slower in 2009 when I was newly Lp'd and I know the refreshing active convos feeling only too well wink I wasn't in the best position for company either but when dcs start pre-school/school you will make new local friends I'm sure. Forget what you might read on here, I made some firm friends for life at primary and dcs are getting older now and I'm still single, so I'm glad I did grin

You sound exactly like the sort of person who will make 'cuppa n catch up' friends before too long! I used to start new hobbies all the time, but have settled into knitting and crap tv these days on evenings I find myself at a loose end- with the obligatory MNing at the same time of course

KingRollo Wed 06-Nov-13 19:41:27

JustAnotherFucker Wed 06-Nov-13 19:36:12

Also coffee/cuppa and a natter with various friends popping round, and taking every opportunity I could for a night out! If someone offered to babaysit I said yes please and then made plans!

Its tough/boring/soul destroying at times but it does get better as time goes on. You just learn to adjust and adapt I guess to what is possible.

Tbh I think most parents (not just us singletons) find it boring at times, so remind yourself of that!

KingRollo Wed 06-Nov-13 19:35:20

JustAnotherFucker Wed 06-Nov-13 19:33:10

MN kept me sane in the early years grin

KingRollo Wed 06-Nov-13 19:32:15

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now