Anybody moving abroad soon and fancy a hand holding thread?

(88 Posts)
KD0706 Sun 03-Mar-13 18:25:14

DH starts a job in Switzerland on 1st may. So we intend to move over there (currently in uk) around the end of april.

I'm looking forward to it but also v daunted. Anybody else on the move soon?

AndMiffyWentToSleep Sun 28-Apr-13 19:12:21

KD, how's the move going?

flowerpowergirl Sun 05-May-13 18:03:06

Guerrillacrochet, how's it going? We now have school places for September and medicals booked. Removal people come next week so all starting to feel a bit more real. Is there anything I should be stocking up on that you can't get there? Hope you've met a few people now? grin

Guerrillacrochet Mon 06-May-13 11:08:11

Hi flower. I'm feeling a bit more settled now, thanks for asking. The ogre seems to have gone off to pester someone else so work is back to being good smile. I've also met some RL people via a stitch and bitch group and chatted to some others via Beijingmamas, which is a Yahoo group you might want to join as it's quite handy for background info.
Re things to stock up on top of my list at the moment is suncream as they don't seem to do big bottles here, if you're here next summer then it might be good to have some in preparation. I had a marmite crisis that is now solved and also tea (in China, who knew!) is quite expensive in the shops I've been to.
Any kind of cosmetic you might use is bound to be more expensive here so I'd really recommend stockpiling and if you have a big bust (not casting aspersions wink) you might want to be stocked up on bras as anything 'substantial' is in short supply. Likewise shoes if, like me, you have bigger feet as the biggest you can usually get here is a 39 without a hunt.
Re kids I don't know how big your DC are but if you have a baby you'll already know about the milk formula issues here- a container is an eye-watering 35-40 quid here- thank god DD is now on cow's milk!
Oh and I'd gorge of cheese to the point of being sick of it before you come as it costs more here (although there is an abundance of pizza, so mozzarella is okay!).
Re books etc you can't buy kindles here but you can download books. Also Amazon UK apparently deliver for a very reasonable price but I haven't tried it yet.
Will see if I can think of anything else, but to be honest the domestic side is fine... just missing my family/pals and a bit pissed off with the air here (it was AQI 320 this morning, which is v, v high... so air purifiers will be a must!)

JoandMax Tue 07-May-13 09:15:08

Hi everyone, I've finally got internet so can join in this thread again!

We've been in Dubai for a month now and so far I'd say it's going well. DS1 has settled brilliantly into his new school and made lovely friends and both boys are so happy at being able to go swimming everyday!

I have met a few people, slight difficulty in that it seems 99% of kids over 2 are in nursery so any toddler groups aren't that suitable for boisterous 3 year old DS2! He starts pre-school in September though so hoping to be able to meet more people through there or being able to go to coffee mornings etc.

Any Dubai mums in this thread fancy meeting up?? Just pm me if you want some company with a fellow newbie!!

flowerpowergirl Thu 06-Jun-13 21:43:56

hey guerilla, just wondering how things are going? my dh flies out in just over 3 weeks so v busy here doing jobs and getting organised before he goes then I am on my own with kids until we fly out in sep. all systems go! BTW thanks for the tips.

KD0706 Sat 08-Jun-13 22:27:45

Hi everybody
I started this thread but have been useless at updating.

We moved over about five weeks ago and it's going ok so far. I've been incredibly busy, which I think it a good thing.

Only a few moments of intense home sickness so far!!

jparwyn Wed 26-Jun-13 12:10:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Barbie1 Tue 09-Jul-13 07:18:31

Hi again,

I'm a week into our South Korea move and so far so good....it's not Dubai but ill cope wink

Dubai ladies, having lived there for four years I'm happy to help with any questions

AndMiffyWentToSleep Fri 12-Jul-13 06:44:32

Hi Barbie, glad to hear the move has gone well.
Mine is looming closer and closer...

PennieLane Thu 25-Jul-13 19:50:14

A latecomer, but can I join? Moving to Hong Kong in Sept, haven't told family yet. Reading all your experiences with interest as have such similar thoughts!!

flowerpowergirl Wed 31-Jul-13 20:49:15

hi all. we now have 4 weeks before the big move to Beijing. DH has been there for 3 weeks and he is coming back home so we can fly out together. can't wait to see him, we have never been apart for so long. any last minute advice before we go? I seem to be spending all my time saying goodbye to people. it's quite exhausting!

AndMiffyWentToSleep Fri 02-Aug-13 05:55:50

Four weeks of goodbyes, Flower? That sounds emotionally exhausting!
We moved on Saturday. DS is being quite hard work - teething and separation anxiety. It must be odd for him not just being in a new country but suddenly having daddy back after four months with just a few weekends and a couple of week-long visits.
So after a fortnight with Daddy around (last week in London, first in Germany), on Monday he's back to work and DS starts nursery settling in.
I'm dreading having to look after him alone next week, even though I've been fine on my own for the last four months!

glastocat Fri 02-Aug-13 06:04:08

Oh my goodness, four weeks of goodbyes! We spent two weeks saying our goodbyes, it almost finished me off!

We have been in Perth almost six months and still love it, although I cant wait for the hot weather to come back, Aussie houses are freezing in winter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now