what do you miss? what would your best advice be?

(31 Posts)
countydurhamlass Mon 08-Oct-12 19:15:20

looks highly likely we will be moving abroad next year and just wondered generally for those who have left the UK what do you miss? if you could give me one bit of advice what would it be?

siilk Fri 19-Oct-12 18:39:50

All all iPhone!!!

kf1979 Fri 19-Oct-12 18:47:03

Watson's is ok, but still not as brilliant as Boots! Watson's actually own Superdrug in the UK and carry some of their products, so you can get some familiar stuff. Selected Mannings stores in Hong Kong are about to start stocking some Boots products - will save on airfares to the nearest one in Bangkok!

helpyourself Fri 19-Oct-12 18:47:45

Friends and family.
I used to miss British media and my uncle would send my cassette tapes of The Archers. Anything else you can get or substiute.

Wheresmypopcorn Wed 31-Oct-12 03:25:53

Friends, pubs, cutting edge street fashion, trendy people, M&s food, wandsworth common, proper sausages and mash, cheap wine, amazon.co.uk - cheap books and toys, London sights days out with my baby, my best friend round the corner, my local mums.

Romilly70 Wed 31-Oct-12 08:16:32

OP, depends where you are going.
We are in France and it has taken me 4 years I would say to settle.
I have a mixture of Expat and French friends, both are important in different ways, sometimes it is relaxing to have a natter in your own language.

Things which have been a lifesaver:

Sklly TV
Kindle
Saturday telegraph (buy it on a sunday so almost feels like sunday papers
Asda supermarket shop online and delivered by a UK company to near us
I try and go back at least a couple of times a year to buy clothes and shoes (DS either wers startrite or clarks)
Amazon deliver here
found a reasonable chinese restaurant
learnt to cook indian food!

But as the years go by, I miss less about the uk. I hate the traffic there and would miss the open spaces and sunshine we have here

kakapo Wed 07-Nov-12 07:34:08

Be prepared for things to never be quite the same again. There will be things you miss when you move abroad, but there will be things you miss from abroad if you return.

I don't mean that as a negative thing, but it is something that has struck me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now