Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Probate - what can you do before it's granted?

(5 Posts)
Mistlethrush Fri 15-May-15 20:30:24

We know that we can't sell the house - but could we, for instance, sell the car (DH is insured to drive it so we can get it there safely etc)? We would, of course, make a note of everything and full accounts would be available etc but there seems no point in it just sitting on the road outside and it would be helpful to have the cash to cover some of the other things that need doing.

Penfold007 Fri 15-May-15 21:10:28

You can't dispose (sell, give away) anything until probate is granted.

mistlethrush Fri 15-May-15 21:20:34

DH has asked elsewhere and been told that as he and his brother are the executors and legatees, realising assets should be fine as long as it's all accounted for clearly, but that differs from your advice Penfold, so we still don't know where we are!

Penfold007 Sat 16-May-15 07:07:38

Mistlethrush my answer was based on my experience when executing my uncle's then my aunt's estates. Maybe I was wrongly advised. Getting probate was easy and didn't take long. I found the step by step guidance on the www.gov.UK very helpful and did it all myself.

mistlethrush Sat 16-May-15 22:48:37

Thanks Penfold - I will have a look there and we'll hope to sort it out quickly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now