Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Landlord & tenant question

(7 Posts)
emess Sun 26-May-13 12:01:24

OldLady, would you like to rent my flat? That's MY kind of TA!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 25-May-13 14:51:00

I love my LL, and recognise that I'm incredibly lucky with them. Very simple contract, you pay us £x every month and don't trash the place, we'll fix stuff like the boiler and the roof when you tell us they need fixed. When you leave, make sure the place is fit for human habitation, and we'll refund your deposit. No inspections, no demands to "pop by". Brilliant.

emess Fri 24-May-13 23:12:07

Thanks all for confirming.
It makes you wonder why Tenancy Agreements contain umpteen clauses about LL requesting access for reason X,Y and Z doesn't it. It just clouds the issue. So much simpler to just say: "Landlord keep out." Then we'd all know where we stand (and lawyers would be extinct).

bamboobutton Fri 24-May-13 16:13:09

you're right.

PareyMortas Fri 24-May-13 16:12:38

You are right. My tenant recently allowed viewings in return for a reduced rent, which was worth it to me as I was selling rather than re-renting.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 24-May-13 16:10:19

You're right, the tenant's right to peaceful occupation of his/her home supercedes the LL's desire to get a new tenant. There may have to be a period when the property is vacant.

emess Fri 24-May-13 09:46:01

Tenancy is almost at an end. LL wants to arrange viewings. Tenancy Agreement says tenant agrees to give access to LL, provided sufficient notice given, viewings at reasonable hours etc. However, Tenant's right to refuse access appears to over-ride this. So, the tenant can effectively stop LL from doing any viewings, and LL can do nothing about it.

Am I right or am I wrong?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now