Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Part 2: School Transport had NO child locks on taxi

(9 Posts)
AndBingoWasHisNameOh Mon 12-Nov-12 09:25:40

I’d have said the priority is ensuring he can’t get out as that is the most immediate danger rather than worrying too much about a serious accident scenario. I always have my car doors locked when driving.

Lougle Sun 11-Nov-12 06:57:22

I was going to suggest a crelling harness. That way everyone it's safe and you are reassured.

mumblechum1 Sun 11-Nov-12 02:04:39

Sensible idea there from Collaborate.

Collaborate Sat 10-Nov-12 08:00:17

Why don't you just strap your son in to the middle of the back seat? That way he can't reach either of the doors.

PipinJo Sat 10-Nov-12 00:24:19

Red thanks for idea and I would if flip of a switch etc but taxi driver says it requires a screwdriver to do it as ? Lock key for it missing?

If I went and touched taxi driver car without permission would I not be done for damage with weapon etc if taxi driver refused?

RedHelenB Fri 09-Nov-12 20:11:00

Have you checked how the child locks work in your friends car? Cos if I were you, I would go with ds to the taxi & do it yourself!!

PipinJo Fri 09-Nov-12 19:05:19

Thanks RedHelen, but I found out today that when the taxi driver presses the button to lock all the doors if ds was to just pull the knob back up on his door the door does actually unlock and can be opened again, i tried it on my friend's car as she has same car.

RedHelenB Fri 09-Nov-12 12:25:29

If there was an accident & the door was mangled they may have difficulty in getting it open anyway. Surely the main thing is that your son can no longer get out of a moving car?

PipinJo Wed 07-Nov-12 18:28:49

Hi all,

After having some cracking advice and support in Part one the new taxi started on Monday. The taxi driver is lovely and I asked could he put child locks on as ds will just jump out of moving taxi if sees as little as a money spider or midget!

HERE IS PART 1

Ok this morning taxi driver starts to pull off, I tap the window as he is moving and he presses the button to think he unlocks the car door ...but in facts locks it as he never pressed button.

SO when ds comes home I jump in taxi after ds gone in house and ask him to check taxi button

With button on taxi cannot be open from inside BUT also cannot be open from outside (this could be good to stop drunken people jumping in I guess but it also means if accident no one can open door to get ds out fast!

Taxi driver also says 'your ds reminds me to push the button every day'.

SO

I ask taxi driver would he be able to just put child locks on for ds journey in mornings and afternoons. He says 'no as it means I have to use a screw driver and it's to fiddly'

Taxdi driver promises me he wont forget to press the button this eve...but forgot this morning!

Now Transport manager promised me he would find a taxi with child locks....ahhhhh!

My Blood pressure is through the roof and I dont feel well enough to drive ds anywhere never mind school...last time (PART 1) ds missed 6 days of school due to school transport refusing to supply another taxi and I then twisted my ankle so could not drive then! I was however able to take ds for the last 1.5 week before half term! School threatened Team Around child (TAC)

PS The taxi driver has already been in an accident with ds yesterday, 2nd day coming home! I know just bad timing but this does't help either! Ds was ok though as only a small bump but might not next time and no one could get ds out (that is if taxi driver pressed the button in first place!).

HELP PLEASE lovely MNs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now