Petition to put a halt to the planned child benefit/tax credits cut and introduce an "upper earnings limit" instead

(72 Posts)
donnaw25 Mon 07-Jun-10 21:33:04

Hi,

I have started a petition that I intend on sending to 10 Downing Street (if enough signatures are collected) to try to put a stop to the Government cutting out child benefit and child tax credits and instead introduce an "upper earnings limit" to stop overpaid celebrities, PMs and even the MP himself from taking all of the Country's money and leaving the rest of us to pick up the pieces through cuts.

If you agree with me, the petition can be found here: http://www.gopetition.co.uk/online/36972.html
Thanks in advance to all those who are in agreement and sign.

Morph2 Thu 11-Oct-12 22:35:06

I can't see it happening, if its does its going to be a disaster.

the plan is that the child benefit is paid and then if one of the people in the household is in higher rate tax band its claimed back through their salary.

Easy where its a married couple, or co habiting couple who are both parents to the children.

what about the situation where there is a mother with say 2 or 3 children currently receiving child benefit, new partner moves in, child benefit continues to be paid to the mother. They keep their finances seperate. If new partner was a higher rate tax payer he would have to pay back the child benefit through his tax return that he has not even received!!

Staps Thu 11-Oct-12 21:50:38

It's all very well stopping child benefit if one parent earns over 50k, but if both parents earn 49k each, they will still be able to claim. It doesn't make sense that a joint family income of 98k can still get child benefit, but a family income of 50k can't. Surely it should be based on joint income?

Takemeout Mon 05-Mar-12 19:33:38

I actually agree capping child benefit for the first two children. There should however be something perhaps introduced for multiple births, as these things do happen. And a couple having a multiple birth shouldn't be penalised.

YonWhaleFish Mon 05-Mar-12 12:53:05

I think they should just introduce a cap at two children. Any more than that, you still get benefits for the first two, but not for the rest.

EdithWeston Mon 05-Mar-12 10:58:47

Zombie thread warning!

Most of it is from 2010. But the mess that arose from the utterly incompetent CB proposals lingers on...

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 05-Mar-12 10:57:55

"Why does everyone automatically assume that people who earn 40K are rich?"

They don't, but it's way above the national average. The fact that £40k doesn't go far in London is not an argument for increasing benefits, it's an argument for living somewhere cheaper.

JBerner Mon 05-Mar-12 10:51:35

The threshold that they are actually introducing is anyone who is a 40% tax payer which means this is anyone who earns over 40K. Why does everyone automatically assume that people who earn 40K are rich? When you live in the London commuter belt house prices and rentals are expensive, cost of living is generally higher and then you have to pay astronomical train fayres to get into London! Not to mention the cost of childcare which takes a vast amount of my salary! The £155 that I am entitled to in Child Benefit at present puts food on my table, if they took this away from me we would REALLY struggle! How it is fair to deduct over £1000 from my salary a month and then take a away the one small benefit that the government allows me when I work hard to provide for my family and others just sit at home living off the taxes that I pay?

Brownie23 Sun 24-Oct-10 15:39:24

I have never entered a discussion online before but about this issue I am livid. I am astounded that this government think it is okay to treat their tax payers in such an unfair way. We have 2 young children, I earn 6k while my husband earns over the threshold. From his salary he pays a good slice to his ex for his 2 children (no probs with that) but it doesn't leave us with sh*tloads at the end of the month. Why should my children lose out and not the children of a family earning up to 86k?

wuwuwu Tue 05-Oct-10 19:55:04

there is a petition from facebook:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-the-exist ing-child-benefit-regime.html

motherforjustice Tue 05-Oct-10 18:54:40

PARENTS FOR FAIR CHILD BENEFIT CHANGES (Facebook)

Hello, we have started a facebook page for those who agree that the way the changes in child benefit are being made is unjust.

Wether you think that child benefit should go or stay, who can justify a household on £88,000 keeping the benefit and a household on £44,000 losing the benefit?

We accept that changes are needed but want them to be fair

See Facebook page [U]PARENTS FOR FAIR CHILD BENEFIT CHANGES
[/U]
Everyone should be interested as more chnges are coming, and you'll want them to be administered fairly, so speak up for yourself and others now.

dreamingofsun Tue 05-Oct-10 17:26:05

so how do you suggest they cut the deficit that the labour gov left? or would you prefer just to continue paying vast sums of interest and pass the debt onto our children? this is just the start of the cuts and they will all be painful for whoevers affected. you cannot go on living beyond your means forever as the labour gov had.

NK2771e476X12314356af0 Tue 05-Oct-10 16:53:23

If you object to cuts in Child Benefit please join the Facebook page 'Parents Against Child Benefit Cuts'.

Most footballers. well paid celebrities etc have very good financial advisors / tax planning accountants. There are a number of legal loopholes avai lable to allow them to avoid paying signigicant amounts of tax.

www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article576436.ece

I think you are way off the mark. The real issues are far more complex

mayorquimby Tue 08-Jun-10 15:46:45

"So let me get this straight. I spend hours and hours writing a book. I don't get paid a salary, so the risk is entirely mine.
It then gets published and sells a lot.
But I'm not allowed to keep my royalties?

Sooooo...who get's them? Seriously."

Well that's the beauty of it. If we cap the wages of all these gaudy over-paid footballers and movie stars then the parent companies simply get greater profit while the people with the actual talent receive less but we all feel better about it because celebrities will no longer be out of touch with reality.

there are literally only a handful of authors who earn £80k+ pa

maybe publishers would start paying authors salaries?

Fruitysunshine Tue 08-Jun-10 15:17:52

The people who need the benefits apparently!

Litchick Tue 08-Jun-10 15:00:45

This petition is one of the most woeful things I've seen in a long time.

Cap earnings?!?

So let me get this straight. I spend hours and hours writing a book. I don't get paid a salary, so the risk is entirely mine.
It then gets published and sells a lot.
But I'm not allowed to keep my royalties?

Sooooo...who get's them? Seriously.

Alouiseg Tue 08-Jun-10 14:44:18

I hope mnhq don't delete this! You can't just have a thread deleted because you didn't get the response you wanted.

BadgersPaws Tue 08-Jun-10 14:26:32

"Someone who can be 'bought' doesnt have the ethos siuted to public sector work."

It's not a matter of being bought it's a matter of rewarding the investment of time and money in training and providing an incentive to keep on doing that investment.

How can it possibly be fair to pay a doctor with hardly any experience the same as one who has many many years?

"Cut the junior doctors pay" you might say.

But then they're earning the same as someone less skilled beneath them, so you have to cut their salary too, and where does that end?

And if some foreign country is willing to pay you several times what you are earning at present because they're not hindered by any silly wage cap then that's going to be a very hard pull to resist. Especially when you've made that huge investment in your skills and you'll still be helping people no matter where you are.

The NHS is full of foreign trained doctors and nurses for precisely that reason. We pay well compared to their home countries. If we stop that not only will our trained professionals do what those foreign professionals did and work overseas but we will loose those foriegners too.

The NHS is gutted, however some vague notion of social equality is apparently fulfilled, so that's alright then.

sparechange- there is an oversupply of graduates, the vast majority of whom are doing jobs which were done by 16-18 year olds a generation ago.

There are 140000 doctors in the UK- do you seriously think America is going to give out 140000 green cards when they have plenty of their own doctors?

tbh, I wouldnt want a doctor who was doing their job out of financial motivation. When they apply to medical school they are all asked why they want to do medicine. I'd be a bit shock if they said 'for the money'. They mostly say 'to help people' which is exactly the kind of doctors we all deserve.

Most people are recruited (especially into highly paid positions) through networking (the old boys network). All the other able and qualified people never even hear of these opportunities let alone get a chance to apply. That is why the demand and supply of the labour market doesnt behave the way it should.

Especially in the public sector, candidates should be recruited because they want to do a good job, not just because they are being paid a fortune. Someone who can be 'bought' doesnt have the ethos siuted to public sector work.

grumpypants Tue 08-Jun-10 13:46:27

just read the coalition plans (pub 7 June) and no mention of losing child benefit/ cappin it (thank goodness). Wish people would understand what they were moaning about.

sparechange Tue 08-Jun-10 13:40:02

'There is an oversupply of highly skilled labour in the UK. If all these 'superrich' people left there would be plently of others willing and just as capable of doing a good job who would happily take £80k.'

Err, where is this oversupply?

If earnings were capped at £80k, and all the decent doctors fucked off to America to work for £200k a year, then what?
Nurses all get sent back to college for a year?

The basic laws of supply and demand mean that if there were hundreds and thousands of able and qualified people waiting in the wings, these jobs would not be offering £80k a year at the moment.

The truth is they need to offer high salaries to attract capable people. And the high salaries also need to be there as an incentive for people to do the relevant training throughout their career

grumpypants Tue 08-Jun-10 13:39:37

wait - is child benefit actually going?

donnaw25 Tue 08-Jun-10 13:33:47

abdnhiker, complete wrong end of the stick. Where I have said I agree with child benefit being abolished is beyond me - this is something I was fighting to keep in place!

I have requested this thread is removed so you can all go back to discussing whatever it was you were discussing before all guns came ablazing in my direction. I'm done here.

hobbgoblin Tue 08-Jun-10 13:25:21

I've always wanted to be the guy on the radio that Aitch speaks of. That is the system I would like to see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now