'Career women make bad mothers' ad to run on side of buses

(1056 Posts)
mrsbaldwin Mon 04-Jan-10 15:48:03

Brand Republic the advertising industry trade mag and the Independent media section are reporting that the Outdoor Advertising Association are to run ads featuring the slogan 'Career Women Make Bad Mothers' on the side of buses and elsewhere. This is to promote the power of outdoor advertising - gets people talking innit. Here is the link - bit.ly/4VQ1Z8 - to the Inde item, which itself links through to the Brand Republic item. No doubt the person who thought this catchy campaign up (an 80s adman, one Garry Lace) will even as I type be wetting his pants in glee that someone has posted about it on Mumsnet. But does he really think the mass of the population will suddenly be moved to ruminate on the utility of outdoors advertising when they see the ad ... or will they just think 'ha! career women are bad mothers, I always thought so - it says so on that bus!'. Click here to find out more about Garry Lace and his firm www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/apr/09/garry-lace-campbell-beta I must say I'm tempted to take a few dirty nappies down to Garry's offices which are at 36-38 Carnaby Street www.betalondon.com (0) 207 734 2949 Nappies - symbolic, as in ... Garry, your ads are a load of s*

mrsbaldwin Fri 03-Feb-12 19:23:42

Old thread, but you're very welcome (I'm still watching grin)

kelly2000 Thu 02-Feb-12 18:45:01

pah - just saw this was an old thread updated with spam

kelly2000 Thu 02-Feb-12 18:41:43

all it shows that this guy cannot actually advertise unless he uses something that is semi illegal, and controversial. If he was so good at advertising he would be able to advertise outdoor advertising without resorting to this behaviour.

i wonder if he would dare to say anything nasty about people on the basis of thei race or religion, or if he just says it for women.

ViVas Thu 02-Feb-12 17:43:24

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

SamanthaFox Tue 04-May-10 07:35:14

I've only just realised I'm on the list. That's very worrying.

I was pretty rude about the troll type posts but I don't remember swearing or attacking anyone personally...certainly not anything worthy of deletion.

That's really strange. I would never have said anything about the size of someone's dick, either. it isn't my style at all.

<confused>

McAli Thu 21-Jan-10 21:25:53

I dislike this type of 'controversy' buzz marketing because it causes upset between Mums (stay at home and working mums). Apart from the fact that I am now aware of it (grrrrr) I think it will backfire. So many women are not career women, they simply have to go to work to pay their mortgages.

Anyway, as a marketing professional on maternity leave... outdoor advertising is over priced for the return on investment. The power of the internet and contextual advertising is far more effective as demonstrated by this post.

picl Thu 14-Jan-10 10:44:12

all sounds a bit nazi to me - think on

ssd Wed 13-Jan-10 21:16:53

good post sm

scottishmummy Tue 12-Jan-10 18:49:39
bevjack Tue 12-Jan-10 12:23:08

Hello, you might all like to know that Garry Lace and Rupert Campbell have posted an apology on their blog: http://community.brandrepublic.com/blogs/campbelllacebetablog/default.aspx

All a bit insincere if you ask me but worth a look to make your own mind up. You can also post your thoughts on their blog if you fancy that!

Bev. x

mummyingreen Sat 09-Jan-10 15:31:25

Mrs Crocoduck needs to meet a real nanny who complements a happy and well-adjusted family. My dd now has 3 people who love her dearly and who stimulate and develop her in different ways. She also has a strong female role model (her mother) who is able to balance work and family life. Like my mother before me, I'm a career woman who makes an excellent mother.

Good post-match analysis from scottishmummy, I thought.

southeastastra Fri 08-Jan-10 19:34:09

oh dear just seen justine's post from last night!

Harriedandflustered Fri 08-Jan-10 19:25:34

In snow the admen
try vainly to charm mothers
still wary but pleased

SydneyScarborough Fri 08-Jan-10 19:12:56

It's not too late Imisssleeping !! smile

It might even still get deleted (a real accolade, it seems)

Turtlesmum Fri 08-Jan-10 18:46:01

I'd like to add my thanks to Mrsbaldwin, crazycatlady & Harried&flustered. Fantastic effort and well done

Imisssleeping Fri 08-Jan-10 18:44:45

Aww Sydneyscarborough thanks for missing my award winning poems.

Been out all day walking in the snow and meeting friends for lunch.
Trying to cram my 55 hours quality child time in!
Yes I'm a good mummy not one of you bad working typesgrin

Will have to work on one of my poems, such eloquence takes time ya know!

AitchTwoOhOneOh Fri 08-Jan-10 18:41:58

it's more than fine, it's great. but let's not have the post-match analysis make it all about the wrath/power of mn, because it allows the focus to narrow on us, rather than remain on the offence to every woman (and beyond) in the land.

scottishmummy Fri 08-Jan-10 18:30:17

yes as a medium discussion boards can swiftly galvanise opinion/support by sheer volume of members and easy accessibility.mrs baldwin made it easy too with her informative links and sample letter

but lets not get too giddy,as daily the same sentiment is replicated on mn.many posts echoing the sentiment and citing quasi-research and anecdotes as evidence

i object to the media representation of mn as a mammies meeting.homogeneous mums on the net.all that chuff about politicians getting mauling or force of mn.

what is outstanding and interesting is the diversity of opinions.dont always agree but do like the range and liberal moderation

great thing about internet is speed and access to information.ability to rapidly respond to information

LeninGrad Fri 08-Jan-10 18:14:35

But without MN it might not have succeeded as well or as quickly. It's symbiotic and that's fine isn't it?

AitchTwoOhOneOh Fri 08-Jan-10 17:27:30

EX.

ACT.

LY.

scottishmummy Fri 08-Jan-10 17:16:44

this wasn't a mn campaign,it was astute and motivated individual pointing out a misjudged advert.some other like minded individuals concurred.but not whole of mn.i dont think their is a collective mn ethos.it isnt a therapeutic community or commune.mn is collection of individuals.some concur some dont. this media notion of mn as a homogeneous mass of mammies is a misnomer,and bitty insulting.mn thrives because of the individual differences and range of posters views

mrs Baldwin,well done for drawing attention to the poster,and the ways to complain

grin

do keep up !!

onebatmother Fri 08-Jan-10 14:50:18

lol that was to bald at 14.01. MUST REFRESH more often!

onebatmother Fri 08-Jan-10 14:49:14

no it's not

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now