GCSEs are to stay!

(208 Posts)

I didn't see that coming. Sorry if there's a thread already, I did look.

story here

zamantha Sun 24-Feb-13 10:56:51

In short:
English GCSE to be scrapped
English literature GCSe and English Language GCSe to continue.
Many schools have to try to teach two exams in 3 lessons maybe 4 a week.

Rhiannon86 Sun 24-Feb-13 12:40:17

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Ah, thanks for that zamantha, it's good to know what's going on !

ravenAK Sun 24-Feb-13 15:45:15

Bugger, we've only just started offering English to our least able couple of sets...nothing on AQA site, Samantha, are you sure? I'd better give HOD a head's up on that one!

zamantha Sun 24-Feb-13 18:33:34

In an email/letter to schools - these were in his list of intentions - Gove that is. I presume the English GCSe will be dropped in about 4/5 years as he had planned all the changes with ebac to do so. However, will he be lobbied about this? It works for many pupils.

ravenAK Sun 24-Feb-13 18:42:58

Thanks (& sorry I got your name wrong - predictive text!).

I've had middle/top sets for the last couple of years, so never taught it, but it does look like a better option than inflated Lang results & dismal ones for Lit for our C/D borderliners. Ah well...

zamantha Sun 24-Feb-13 19:24:43

My DS took it last year and he covered a lot of literature which is good. Was a fiasco with AQA English grades in summer though and we were lucky, as only a few were, his exam was upped by 2 grades. His school, a good all boy comp, had most except top set doing this to maximise grades which had worked prior to the deflation of 2012.

RevisionBuddies Thu 07-Mar-13 14:38:13

Revision Buddies have a nice blog post on this subject...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now