The death of baby Kate (trigger)

(13 Posts)
Welovecouscous Tue 20-Nov-12 07:40:20

I think the mlu point is a red herring, in this case the inquest found the mw didn't care for her properly. I bet my wonderful mw would have spotted that a baby was seriously ill, whether she was working in an mlu or a clu.

In a clu the mw would still have to get the consultant, so any mw incompetence at recognising the condition would still have led to delay in treatment.

stargirl1701 Mon 19-Nov-12 23:52:43

The C4 report was questioning the safety of MLUs too. I think they missed the point. This was not a low risk pg. If the bleeding had been picked up in utero then this tragic death may not have occurred.

YoullScreamAboutItOneDay Mon 19-Nov-12 21:33:58

This is a mother who had been at hospital repeatedly in teh weeks before delivery because of concerns. She should not have been at an MLU.

The transfer arrangements to hospital were chaotic. The helicopter didn't know a helipad was closed, and didn't know what facilities another hospital had.

The nurse left the poor baby alone.

Just a catalogue of failings. Appalling.

Welovecouscous Mon 19-Nov-12 21:31:42

sad

2old2beamum Russia Mon 19-Nov-12 21:29:26

Not in my day what the hell is going on. Probably doing paper work to cover their backsides

Welovecouscous Mon 19-Nov-12 21:23:25

So sad that she was left in a cot alone as well sad why would a mw do that?

YoullScreamAboutItOneDay Mon 19-Nov-12 21:09:04

Tiddley- This did happen in 2009. So you would hope there had been time for lessons to be learned and improvements made.

tiddleypompom Mon 19-Nov-12 20:54:50

What a dreadful story, those poor parents. I am due to give birth at the same mw-led hospital in Ludlow - it is nerve wracking being so far away from a 'proper' hospital but it does offer the 'softer' benefits of a small & intimate mw community centre. This tragedy makes me wonder if I'd be better off at Shrewsbury (hospital) as my first was a forceps delivery due to fetal distress.
Sorry. Am thinking 'aloud' and this isn't about me. Awful. Rip little girl.

YoullScreamAboutItOneDay Mon 19-Nov-12 20:50:58

Very, very sad.

I was quite annoyed at the spin the Times put on it. It was basically reported as an attack on MLUs, whereas it sounds like this wasn't a low risk pregnancy at the point of labour and there were serious negligence issues. It was poor care. So, so, sad.

cafebistro Mon 19-Nov-12 20:50:10

very sad sad

MrsWolowitz Mon 19-Nov-12 20:46:41

Heartbreaking.

cutegorilla Mon 19-Nov-12 20:44:47
stargirl1701 Mon 19-Nov-12 20:38:14

I just watched this being reported on C4 news. I cried throughout.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20364330

Not sure how to covert the address into a link on an iPad - sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now