do "we" have the right to say what benefit claimants spend the money on?

(329 Posts)
DizzyHoneyBee Tue 02-Oct-12 21:01:59

In the news today, a think tank suggests that many would support restrictions on what benefit claimants can spend the money on.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19792066

What do you think?

garlicbutty Fri 05-Oct-12 12:25:22

I'm not advocating automatic HB payments to landlords! I'm saying HB should be paid direct on request. It isn't at the moment - I had to 'prove' I'm vulnerable - and apparently won't be available at all under UC.

Bucket, have you not thought that no employer in their right mind would employ someone with no experience, or training extends also to employing someone with a long-term health problem or disability, someone over 35, someone with shabby clothes/shoes/hair, someone dependent on public transport for an awkward commute, someone who can't afford wraparound childcare, someone who's been out of work for longer than six weeks?

Your statement that education & experience bring a lifetime of rewards is exceedingly smug. And wrong. Only a tiny proportion of the long-term unemployed are sub-literate, etc. Unemployment is caused by an insufficiency of jobs not a fucking lifestyle choice.

On the subject of long-term unemployment: did you know that only 0.3% - four thousand JSA claimants - have been claiming for 5+ years? (source: ONS)

morethanpotatoprints Fri 05-Oct-12 17:00:42

No we do not have any right to say or even know what anybody spends their money on, benefits or not.

Mosman Tue 09-Oct-12 00:47:52

I actually do think the freedom to choose lottery, alcohol, fags etc is no longer yours when you ask the government to support you. There are insurance schemes that people could pay into that will help them cover mortgage and income should they loose theirs so if you choose not to take responsibility for yourself those who then do have the right to ensure you look after yourself and your children rather than waste it on crap.

aufaniae Tue 09-Oct-12 08:37:20

"the landlord doesn't need to know you are claiming, that's the point."

If you lose your job while housed, then you can get away without telling your LL.

However if you need to find a new place it's very, very difficult indeed, as your new landlord will ask where you are employed, and many lettings agents won't even consider you.

I helped a friend on HB flat-hunt this year in London. It took him months to find somewhere (which meant he overstayed past the date his landlord had asked him to leave), he faced rejection after rejection simply because he was on HB. Another friend rented him a room in the end, but that was only temporary (while they were renovating their house). He'll be in the same position again very soon. Homelessness is a very real possibility.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now