5 yr old girl "snatched" in Wales

(535 Posts)
mumblechum1 Tue 02-Oct-12 04:38:29

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19795761

Let's all keep our eyes peeled sad

pigletmania Tue 02-Oct-12 14:03:37

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

pigletmania Tue 02-Oct-12 14:06:25

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

FateLovesTheFearless Tue 02-Oct-12 14:07:56

I agree with fob watch and I disagree with saying most children are in bed by 7pm. My girls are 6 and 7 and tend to be in bed by 8, coming in at 7pm from playing out with friends.

I hope that little girl is found and is okay. sad

dikkertjedap Tue 02-Oct-12 14:17:17

Poor little girl and poor parents. I hope she get found soon.

I think it is neither here nor there whether she was playing out at 19.00h, unfortunately these things can happen at any time of the day. It is awful that people do this to a child, it is awful that parents have to live in fear that somebody might snatch their child, what a rotten society we are in!

Growlithe Tue 02-Oct-12 14:22:27

Another one in the eye for lax parenting

What a spiteful thing to say given these circumstances. I seriously can't bear to think about what these poor parents are going through, and yet comments like these are already being made.

Let's just hope there is enough positive thought and action to get a good result in this case.

Whatever you think of their parenting, keep it to yourself and leave them alone. Now is most certainly not the time.

edam Tue 02-Oct-12 14:25:21

poor little mite, hope she's found soon.

Machynlleth isn't a tiny village, it's a small market town, but it is a close community - I can see why her parents will have felt she was safe playing out. I used to let ds play out on our street at that age with his friends, checking every 15 minutes or so. Not at 7pm, but equally the person who did this could have turned up at 4 or 5.30.

Tuttutitlookslikerain Tue 02-Oct-12 14:29:14

Some people are so spiteful! It must be nice to live in some of your perfect worlds!

Please spare a thought for these poor parents and the anguish they are going through at the moment, and, also spare a thought for April.

bkgirl Tue 02-Oct-12 14:29:23

Its so difficult, we want our children to play and let their hearts soar. Our 9 year old loves the bike and rides on the street with her pals - yes at 7.30 too. Do I watch her, yes of course but not every second. Honestly, I can't see why pedophilles keep getting out of prison. I really suspect certain judges who act like their friends.They should be locked away for ever or put down. Yes, I would press the switch to get rid of this vermin and I would do it for free.

pigletmania Tue 02-Oct-12 14:31:53

I just hope that this little girl is found safe and well. Yes people are going to judge whether you agree with it or not, because the girl involved was only 5 and was not out with a responsible adult.

Fobwatch Tue 02-Oct-12 14:32:58

I just love the idea that the poor, poor, parents will "learn a lesson" from this. FFS. If this chikd is returned to them safe and well, I suspect she will not be let out of their sight for the next 10 years or so, such will be their fear, paranoia and guilt.

The idea that they will "learn their lesson" is utterly patronising and naïve.

pigletmania Tue 02-Oct-12 14:34:22

I agree Fob I expect that they will be ultra cautious with her safety if she is found

NopofacehaveI Tue 02-Oct-12 14:34:41

Reading all these posts, I certainly remember playing out in the street in a similar setting right near home, didn't all kids used to play out in 70s?

my dd doesn't as we live in a busy town with busy roads but still.

pigletmania Tue 02-Oct-12 14:38:25

I never played out at that age and in the dark, we were all indoors

hellymelly Tue 02-Oct-12 14:38:54

I'm like NopofacehaveI, I played out with other children all the time in the 70's, and I think in many places in Wales children still do, it is common where my mum lives for example, but not so much in my village as the road through is busy.
I am hoping that she is found asap. She is the same age as my dd. sad

edam Tue 02-Oct-12 14:54:16

I played out every day in the 1970s - small village in Yorkshire - but I think we were always home before it got dark. Whatever, doesn't make these parents wrong and it CERTAINLY does not mean they deserved to have their daughter taken. Anyway who could say that is truly disgusting - smugness is one thing but wishing harm on a little girl? Good grief.

Tailtwister Tue 02-Oct-12 14:56:55

The kind of person who would abduct a child like this may well have spent time watching the area and quite possibly a specific child or group of children. They could have been monitoring the times the children were out, waiting for the opportunity to act. It's the kind of thing you just can't factor in.

Of course all parents are cautious about their child's safety, but it really depends on the environment doesn't it? Playing out at this age may well be perfectly normal in such a small village. It's not something I would let my 4 yo do, but I live on a busy road where children don't generally play out.

Like everyone, I hope she is found swiftly and safe.

RubixCube Tue 02-Oct-12 16:11:58

I read some where that April's parents had come back from a parents conference and seen her friends playing outside so let her play out for 10minutes whilst the mum put the kettle on.I'm not sure how true that is but sounds plausible to me.Poor parents will be suffering sad going over what ifs

Kinora Tue 02-Oct-12 17:01:17

Just seen on the news - 46 year old male arrested in connection to this. April still missing sad

dollywashers Tue 02-Oct-12 17:16:06

They've found the van too sad

Chubfuddler Tue 02-Oct-12 17:16:30

God I hope she's alright. Doesn't sound good does it?

mrsscoob Tue 02-Oct-12 17:17:18

I really hope she is found sad

Have to say I hate how people make judgey comments without knowing the facts. Nasty people.

crackcrackcrak Tue 02-Oct-12 17:27:17

Sorry but I agree with others - why was she unsupervised was my first thought at seeing the story. If she was yards from her home it only takes one parent to be outside keeping an eye on all the kids - I thought that's what close communities did sad.

Statistically, abduction is a v tiny risk but there are others with 5 year olds - accidents/roads/whatever really.

And like all I imagine; I will be overjoyed to hear of her safe return.

OhSoSimple Tue 02-Oct-12 17:27:32

Apparently there had been another attempted abduction within the last fortnight, although this could be unconnected.

I haven't seen anyone on here express anything but sympathy for the girls parents. It isn't judging, just different ways of parenting. I cannot imagine letting a 5 year old out to play anywhere other than my back garden, without constant supervision. Especially not at 7pm. However, I understand that whilst it is not my way of doing things it is commonplace for other people and I do not "judge" them for it. I can't understand it but perhaps it is a location issue. I certainly am not "judging" them and haven't seen any poster doing so. What I have seen is other posters attempting to take people's words out of context to start an argument. Jeez.

usualsuspect3 Tue 02-Oct-12 17:32:00

Fucking hell , is there any need for the nasty comments about her parents.

They must be going through hell. You should be ashamed of yourselves with your sneery judgey views.

Chubfuddler Tue 02-Oct-12 17:36:16

I think it's born out of fear. "As long as I don't do x y z my child won't be abducted/my house won't be burgled/I won't be raped".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now