washing machine smelly since being in storage

(10 Posts)
fatsatsuma Thu 27-Oct-16 15:02:22

My Bosch washing machine has been in storage for the last 6 months during a house move. I had removed the detergent drawer and wedged the door open in an attempt to prevent it going mouldy.
It has now been installed and smells mouldy. I've run a 90 degree cycle with soda crystals, have wiped out the rubber seal, and drained and emptied the filter in the base, but it still smells.
Any advice please? Should I do another hot wash? Or just use it and hope the smell goes over time. Will it make the washing smell?

homeaway Fri 28-Oct-16 09:08:46

I would do another hot wash. Try some vinegar as well.

fatsatsuma Fri 28-Oct-16 10:47:52

Thanks homeaway, I did exactly what you suggested last night, and I think it's a bit better. There's a full load in there now, so fingers crossed it won't all come out smelly...

EstelleRoberts Sat 29-Oct-16 18:31:44

I feel sure one of the Zoflora crew will be along in a minute....

eastbenders Mon 31-Oct-16 07:15:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

wooooofudge Mon 31-Oct-16 07:24:14

The OP has run a maintenance wash with soda crystals - same thing and a lot less expensive.

homeaway Mon 31-Oct-16 19:16:23

Did it work op ??

mando12345 Mon 31-Oct-16 19:21:48

I had this and rang bosch. They said run the 90 wash with nothing added no soda crystals or the like, until the washing machine didn't smell.
It worked and I had previously tried sofa crystals.

culibop Tue 01-Nov-16 12:47:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

fatsatsuma Tue 01-Nov-16 19:07:03

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I did a second 90 degree wash with some vinegar, and the smell was nearly gone. I have subsequently done several 40 degree washes and clothes are coming out smelling fine, and no lingering smell in the machine.

So I would say 90 degree cycle plus soda crystals and/or vinegar did the trick!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now