How can I clean my oven door glass?

(26 Posts)
Shannonsm Mon 17-Oct-16 08:00:24

I can't see inside my oven anymore, it's disgusting, but nothing seems to shift the brown dribbly marks all over the inside. What can I use that will get rid of them?

Diddlydokey Mon 17-Oct-16 08:01:34

Dishwasher tablet

NicknameUsed Mon 17-Oct-16 08:04:46

Oven Mate from Lakeland is the only stuff I have tried that actually works. You paint it on and leave it. It wipes off easily.

MissBattleaxe Mon 17-Oct-16 08:08:12

The wet dishwasher tablet method had incredible results for me.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 17-Oct-16 08:17:21

Dip a dishwasher tab in boiling water and use to rub away all the brown gunk. Keep dipping when it gets dry.

HoneyDragon Mon 17-Oct-16 08:19:55

Magic eraser. Always works.

repme Mon 17-Oct-16 08:21:44

I use Lakeland to clean my entire oven with a scourer and sponge cloth.

KirstyJC Mon 17-Oct-16 08:22:30

I covered it in bicarb and the next day used a glass scraper and that worked pretty well. That was a couple of years ago though and it needs to be done again. Might try the dishwasher tablets this time too.

LizzieMacQueen Mon 17-Oct-16 08:23:15

I tried the dishwasher tab trick, used the basic supermarket one, and it left a mess.

I'm getting the professionals in - that way the whole oven can be clean for Christmas.

RJnomore1 Mon 17-Oct-16 08:24:52

Steamer. It's magic.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 17-Oct-16 08:25:21

Lizzie - you have to wipe as you go.

NicknameUsed Mon 17-Oct-16 08:36:18

I have steamed my oven door before and it hasn't made much difference.

Pippin8 Mon 17-Oct-16 08:47:02

I did the dishwasher tablet last week, it did nothing. I made a paste of bicarbonate of soda, lemon & vinegar. I smeared that on & scrubbed with a microfibre cloth & its gleaming. I didn't have much luck with the rest of the oven though.

SheSparkles Mon 17-Oct-16 11:43:44

I've had great success with the dishwasher tablet on the door glass.

Those of you who use a steamer, how exactly do you do it?

lemondropcake Mon 17-Oct-16 14:09:11

I put my glass doors in the oven pride bag and soak overnight in oven pride. It says on the box your not supposed to do that but they come out spotless every time. Only thing that works for me and they look brand new.

IHaveAToiletBrush Mon 17-Oct-16 14:14:56

Oven Pride here to but I don't put it in the bag with the racks just wipe some of the solution on the glass when I wipe the rest of the oven with it, leave over night and it is like new. I do however put the racks and burns from the gas hob in with the oven racks and they come up really well.

NoCapes Mon 17-Oct-16 14:16:28

Brillo pad and elbow grease
I put the oven on low for a bit before I do it too, comes off easier when it's a bit warm

NicknameUsed Mon 17-Oct-16 16:19:04

I would have thought a Brillo pad would scratch the glass.

NoCapes Mon 17-Oct-16 16:55:18

Nope it doesn't Nickname

SpookyMooky Mon 17-Oct-16 19:45:00

Thanks to previous MN threads I finally found something that worked for me last week.

On the grill door, which was brown but not black, I left a teatowel sodden in strong, hot dishwasher tablet solution on it for 15 mins, then it cleaned up perfectly with more dishwasher solution and a green scrubby thing.

The oven door was black and more stubborn. I did the dishwasher tablet soak thing first but even after that, a dishwasher tablet used as scrubber didn't work. I found a glass cleaning blade did the job beautifully though. It's just a big razor blade in an angled holder, sold by B&Q for getting paint splashes off glass. The soaking had softened the gunk and the blade lifted it off quite easily.

RJnomore1 Mon 17-Oct-16 21:38:07

I just steam it with the jet nozzle and wipe abd the dirt slides off. It was in a hell of a state when I discovered too.

LostTVRemote Tue 18-Oct-16 14:37:02

Have NC as these photos would out me, as I literally show everyone as I was so amazed by the results.

I used a wet dishwasher tablet on the glass door and literally 'rubbed out' of the marks, like you would use a pencil rubber to erase something.

I hadn't cleaned the oven in three years (yes I am disgusting! Lol)

muminmanchester Tue 18-Oct-16 14:40:10

What kind of dishwasher tablet? Guess it needs to be a compressed powder one rather than a gel?

Corialanusburt Tue 18-Oct-16 14:45:21

Brillo pad doesn't scratch glass on ours. Tried wet dishwasher tab. I barely wetted it and it crumbled immediately
It didn't do much to help.

Sparklesilverglitter Tue 18-Oct-16 14:54:04

I use wire wool and spray cleaner- It works like a dream.

And no the wire wool doesn't scratch the glass

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now