Oven cleaning revelation!

(11 Posts)
MakemineaGandT Tue 30-Aug-16 13:37:34

I tried the trick I found on here the other day to clean the oven door with a dishwasher tablet. I then decided to try doing the shelves in the same way - put them in the sink (we have a big one so they can lie down in there), covered with hot water and chucked dishwasher tab in. 10 mins later I just wiped all the brown baked on stuff off with a sponge! Some light scrubbing to remove stubborn areas and now they are sparkling. So easy! Why has it taken me so long to realise this time-saver?!

Floggingmolly Tue 30-Aug-16 13:42:41

What dishwasher tablets do you use?! I put the racks in the dishwasher occasionally; it satisfies me that they're "clean" but they certainly don't sparkle...
Unless they were black in the first place? I honestly don't know confused

MakemineaGandT Tue 30-Aug-16 13:47:21

It was a fairy platinum one

I've never tried putting them in the dishwasher as I always assume they won't come clean!

Very exciting life I lead confused

spiderbabymum Tue 30-Aug-16 23:31:46

The trick is you get a DW tab
The more expensive ones SEEM to work better .....
As they have more texture
You dampen the end of it
And u just rub it HARD all over the inside of the oven glass
You scrape and scrape and it cleans the glass like nothing else

peaceloveandshitmoms Tue 30-Aug-16 23:44:42

Totally doing this tomorrow

ladydoer Wed 31-Aug-16 08:02:49

Wow - thanks for sharing!
Trying this later today, my oven door looks horrible..

Floggingmolly Wed 31-Aug-16 12:00:27

I totally missed you were talking about the oven door, not racks... blush

Lurleene Wed 31-Aug-16 12:07:49

Best tip for cleaning ovens that I've ever learnt has been to buy a roll of oven liner for the bottom of the oven. It is only a couple of quid from Home Bargains. When it gets a bit mucky you just whip it out and wash it on the sink. Far easier than scrubbing the inside of the oven.

Mcchickenbb41 Thu 01-Sep-16 08:07:56

So glad I read this. I'm waiting for the kids to go back to school then blitzing the kitchen. Oven inc. it's been left far longer than I usually would. Iv tried every dw tab on the market and fairy platinum seem to be the best

peaceloveandshitmoms Thu 01-Sep-16 15:05:31

I've got finish powerball in atm. Is it worth trying with that or waiting until I can get some fairy?

brrrr Sun 04-Sep-16 11:12:09

I put tin foil at the bottom of the oven, it's great - just chuck it and replace every few weeks. Oven spotless. Rest of house less so..... wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now