ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Something to cover up the smell of decaying rats?

(30 Posts)
MulledWineAndScully Thu 10-Jan-13 12:57:11

There's a rat problem at work with rats under the floorboards that are dropping dead and then decaying. We've put up with the smell of rotting rats for 2 months now and it's not getting any better (as more rats are getting in all the time and dropping dead). If you've ever smelled a dead and rotting rat it's really not a good smell and I just can't take it any more - a very unpleasant working environment. There's Neutrodols all over the building but they do next to nothing against the overpowering stench. I've got roomsprays and perfumes that also don't cover it up.

I'm starting to go mad. I feel sick every time I come in to work. People are reporting headaches and nausea. I've got a stinking cold and can't smell anything, yet dead rat smell still gets through (HOW??!)

Does anyone have any great suggestions to create a nicer environment (stench-wise, at least) for me and my colleagues. We can't burn anything (H&S and all that) but I am up for trying anything else.

PandaG Mon 14-Jan-13 15:44:51

yuck, just yuck! I definitely have bought bicarb in the cleaning aisle in Tesco, under their own natural brand. Maybe other supermarkets don't do it. Sorry!

really dose help with the smell - and if you put it in an ols sock and stick it in your trainers it freshens trainers too, and helps draw out moisture from wet shoes.

I agree with everyone else though, the root cause so needs to be dealt with!

showtunesgirl Mon 14-Jan-13 15:50:03

This is utterly disgusting.

OP, you can't work in these conditions and you can't risk being sick either.

TheFallenNinja Mon 14-Jan-13 15:52:50

The smell won't go away as it is a food source.

That is so awful. Can you take photographs of the flies? Copies of the 'rodent situation' emails and report to environmental health?
I would find that situation unbearable.
I would be going sick, would your GP sign you off?

dikkertjedap Mon 14-Jan-13 18:02:16

I think you should contact environmental health. What would also concern me given that you are pregnant is;

- are they using any dangerous chemicals
- the rats will walk on surfaces during the night and are likely to carry all kind of disease

I would also discuss with your midwife. It may be better that you work from home/call in sick until they have resolved what must be a public health issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now