Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Painting the ceiling in gloss

(12 Posts)
SilverSixpence Sat 28-Sep-13 13:34:26

There's a product you can buy which turns the gloss paint matt so you can paint over it

minipie Wed 25-Sep-13 12:21:49

I think pubs do this?? especially the Victorian pubs with anaglypta on the ceiling. Nothing wrong with it per se but might kind of look like you wanted the ceiling to be a feature grin

Oh no!

It's not too hard to paint over with emulsion - esp if you wash with sugar soap beforehand to give the emulsion a bit more "grip" iyswim!

Good luck!

Whoops !! :-)

lighthousesea Mon 23-Sep-13 17:57:08

Oh no!

mummaemma Fri 20-Sep-13 20:11:40

If I was u I wouldn't be happy at all. Got to be emulsion on the ceilings. What was he thinking?

oftengrumpy Thu 19-Sep-13 20:30:58

Thanks all. I didn't actually do it. DH was doing the ceiling whilst I was at work. I'm doing the walls. I went out saying we don't have any emulsion you'll need to pop to B and Q. I came home and the ceiling was glossed! It does look really shiny when then lights are on :-( looks like a plastering job then I guess.

RedPencils Thu 19-Sep-13 18:05:51

We did his once, we were pairing all the kitchen and bought a vat size tin of gloss by mistake (we were young and foolish).
Seemed a shame to waste it so so we painted the ceiling with it. It wasn't exactly shiny but it didn't look quite right.

We had the whole thing knocked out when we extended so no idea how easy it is to paint over. I suspect not very.

QueOnda Thu 19-Sep-13 18:00:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Optimist1 Thu 19-Sep-13 17:49:13

I did this deliberately once in our kitchen, hoping that it would be easier to clean. It was!

Jeremiad Thu 19-Sep-13 17:15:19

Um...why?

It's a very expensive way of painting your ceiling, and must have been a bugger to avoid drips...

oftengrumpy Thu 19-Sep-13 17:14:20

Is this actually a bad idea or is it just something that people don't do? It's been done now (still wet though). Should I be doing something about it or will it be OK?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now