Decorations in the toilet...........

(29 Posts)
Dorange Tue 10-Sep-13 12:41:09

My husband insists in having some stuff pinned on a board behind the toilet door....(photos, post cards, other currency money and random stuff) it's truly horrendous.
I cringe everytime I used the toilet and I pray for visitors not want to use it.
I tried to take it away once and he got really offended as he thinks this is a fucking masterpiece.

What do
I do? LTB or threat with divorce and see if he parts with it?

Or any ideas of something I can replace it with?
I've been thinking about something for months but can't think of anything....

Heeeeeelp

HeyJudith Fri 13-Sep-13 23:10:21

Interesting. I would have thought a man who cares to display life tokens to be more showing-off, but, the other end of the scale is lack of confidence, so possibly, his noticeboard is his subtle way of conveying things he wants people to know about, indirectly. I have never ever met any man who would even care about any kind of decorative element in a toilet, let alone create such a personal display for one smile

Especially if he is not arty, social or academic, because creating a noticeboard like that hints to hidden depths of artistic nature and social butterfly. Maybe the noticeboard represents what he is or wants to be underneath? (and that's why he was so touchy about taking it down?)

My friend has all sorts of personal photos and trinkets and momentoes plastered all over her downstairs (visitors) loo. Almost every wall surface covered. Lots to look at when sitting down in there smile She is a total extrovert however smile

Throw your DH a house party for his next birthday... sounds like he would secretly love it!

Dorange Fri 13-Sep-13 23:35:14

He does have a creative mind, that is for sure, however, I don't think that when growing up, he had the opportunity to develop his creative side much...although he does need to use a bit of creativity at work.

He does bits of decoration around the house and I would say that 99% of the time I am fine with it. The 1% I don't like, I find it to be extremely tacky, but I understand that as a child he didn't have much going on culturally speaking...he went to a mediocre school, grew up in a mediocre village and was brought up basically eating crap food in front of a TV or playing video games.

He was touchy about taking it down because he says the stuff he put there are important and special for him. I am fine with it somewhere else in the house , but as said upthread, not where people are confined and cant look anywhere else. I think it is way too personal.

As for the house party, I am sure he would love it, h does like to entertain, however I would have to invite his family only as he got no friends...well, he did have one work mat that could become a close friend, but this guy changed jobs, so I can't see a friendship flourishing. He does go to the pub sometimes with work colleagues but I am sure is much more for the beer than for the company...

He has got an aunty who sounds like your friend when comes to decorating her visitors loo. Maybe he was trying to copy her? But the stuff she got there is way much more interesting than H's board and put together in a way that doesn't feel so personal.

Jaynebxl Thu 19-Sep-13 07:08:19

I think the notice board sounds lovely. Little souvenirs and things he wants to remember. I'd have let it stay... It is one tiny space which made him happy and didn't hurt anyone.

Personally not really a fan of the photo murals. They remind me of living with a French family in the 80s who had them on several walls ... A telephone box one in the loo and a forest in the bedroom. They also had carpet on lots of walls. Niiiiiice.

I would move it to the door of his wardrobe because you add a saucy pic of you to the board - more likely to keep it to himself that way !! Tee hee !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now