Personal Statement Question

(28 Posts)
hattymattie Sat 07-Sep-13 17:58:53

My DD is currently preparing her statement for early application. She attended a Law Taster Course at Cambridge - I wondered if mentioning Cambridge on her PS would torpedo her chances at the other universities and whether she should just say she attended a law taster course at a prestigeous university.

Any thoughts?

* Millais * that's interesting, thank you. I will explore the possibility of talking to one of his teachers. Unfortunately he has been allocated mostly different teachers this year and he is rather shy so takes a while to establish a relationship. He did get on particularly well with one member of staff last year though not a Maths teacher.

hattymattie Sun 08-Sep-13 20:26:15

Very useful link Milliais thank you.

SlowlorisIncognito Sun 08-Sep-13 22:17:15

TSR is good, and will review a draft of his personal statement for him.

I would suggest he starts off by bullet pointing everything he wants to include, and slowly building outwards from there. Focus mostly on maths, at least 2/3 of his personal statement should talk about the course he wants to study. Don't forget to include line breaks between paragraphs, even though this reduces your space, as otherwise it's really difficult to read once UCAS have formatted it. Indents are removed by UCAS, and one big block of text is very difficult to read.

Ultimately grades are much more important than an absolutely amazing personal statement for getting into university. As far as I can tell a lot of students will good grades get into university every year despite their personal statement, rather than because of it, if that makes him feel any better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now