compressed hours

(28 Posts)
MunchkinJess Wed 18-Dec-13 09:57:36

I am not due to return to work for a few months yet but would like to start getting my head around options.

I am the main breadwinner so will need to do full time hour.

normal working day is 9 to 5:30 mon to Fri.

if I was to consider compressed hours over 4 days what pros and cons should I consider and what would be my realistic day at work eg start and finish time etc ?

thanks for the advice.

MunchkinJess Sat 28-Dec-13 20:34:51

I work longer full time hours than you so its a toss up of not seeing my DD for 5 nights or for 4 .

either way I wouldn't get to see her much on the days I am.working due to commute and hours so I would rather compress it to for 4 days so I get 3 full days with her rather than just 2

Chunderella Wed 01-Jan-14 09:58:43

Obviously you won't know if you don't ask, but I suspect varying the day every week is a bridge too far. DH does compressed hours, and loves it, but the same day. Although they have allowed him occasionally to change it to work round eg holidays, training etc. He's out of the house about 11.5-12 hours and still sees DD (17 months) in the evenings, but then she's quite late to bed.

PoloMintCity Wed 01-Jan-14 10:13:52

I compress my hours, but also dropped to 0.9 fte so don't have quite so many hours to make up given length of my commute. I do 8.30-5 with half hour lunch (or 8-4.30 on days I need to be away sharp for childcare). Works well for me and I'd hate to go back to ft uncompressed hours! Something to consider is the day off you take - I don't work Monday's for a couple of reasons which I have ended up really liking and the added bonus is that I don't have to use annual leave for bank holidays when my building is closed, which I would have to do if my day off was on another day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now