Return to Nursing Clinical Placement

(11 Posts)
likeaflower1 Mon 18-Nov-13 13:46:45

Hi all,
I’m desperately looking for a RtP clinical placement. I’m actually happily working as an HCA in a nursing home. Does anyone know which door to knock at? How to proceed? I have been calling hospitals and nursing home but nothing.
I’m reading to get back to nursing. And just don’t want to give up now. I will be grateful if you can help.
thanks

Tiredemma Mon 18-Nov-13 13:48:10

CAn the university not help you with a placement?

RudolphLovesoftplay Mon 18-Nov-13 13:49:56

I am surprised that Uni won't help you, they were brilliant with my friend. I have also had at least 2 RTN students that I have mentored, I just got a call from Uni asking if I'd mind having them.

likeaflower1 Mon 18-Nov-13 19:05:43

Hi thank you for replying.
The Uni asked me to secure my own placement i tried but found it very difficult and, sadly i had to give up.
Thanks for your support

Tiredemma Mon 18-Nov-13 19:25:22

Are you a looking for a general nursing placement?

lateSeptember1964 Mon 18-Nov-13 19:45:21

Hi, I completed my RTP in June and had no help from the Uni in securing a placement. You have to try everywhere. What you need is a sign off mentor. Have you asked at your current workplace. Where abouts are you. One of the best ways to find placements it's to try to speak to students from the previous co-hort as they will be able to give some insight into placement vacancies. Leave no stone unturned and take any placement that has that sign off mentor even if you don't intend to practice that speciality. I know that feeling of thinking your finished before you even start but it will be worth it in the end. Best of luck. Keep us updated

likeaflower1 Thu 21-Nov-13 16:58:18

Hi,
Tiredemma: yes I'm looking for a general nursing placement.

lateSeptember1964. I'm so happy for you. Unfortunately my workplace doesn’t have a sign off mentor. I live in London but I’m trying everywhere no matter the distance. It’s so frustrating that after so many calls and mails I received no positive answer I will keep trying.
Thanks for your advice.

Tiredemma Thu 21-Nov-13 17:39:58

Thats a shame- if you was Mental Health Branch and in the west midlands I would have given you a placement on my ward.

I hope something comes up for you. Its disgraceful that you are not getting any answers - especially when the NHS is in a desperate need for experienced nurses.

let us know how you get on

Floralnomad Thu 21-Nov-13 17:46:30

I know someone who did their placement in Maidstone so it may be worth trying them if its not too far .

likeaflower1 Fri 06-Dec-13 12:45:12

Hi
Tiredemma: you’re very right. It’s really a shame as many nurses wishing to return to nursing don’t have this opportunity.

Floralnomad: Maidstone is too far, 3.5 hours by public transport.

Thank you

Leighgull Mon 17-Feb-14 17:35:50

Likeaflower...is Essex too far? Basildon want RtP students.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now