Job Hunting Support Thread

(228 Posts)
lljkk Netherlands Tue 22-Jan-13 09:48:03

For everyone seeking work who wants to share, have a natter, is in need of advice, or even just after a bit of sympathy.

I actually have some paid work this week, filling in for lunchtime supervision up at the primary school. But it's not exactly my long term ambition.

Everyone welcome, Please sign in and share what your job hunting targets & plans are this week smile.

LillethTheCat Fri 01-Feb-13 16:37:00

Right so Ive just spoken to the lady regarding volunteering and I have to go in on Monday for a chat.

She said it was a chat about showing me what they did and how the office was laid out and to talk about current positions. So the big question is what do I wear? How do I treat it? Do I go along as though its an interview or do I go a bit more casual? WWYD?

lljkk Netherlands Fri 01-Feb-13 16:55:40

Would it be helpful to treat it as interview practice? So fairly smart but without the pressure of a real interview.

Snowydrift Fri 01-Feb-13 20:12:58

Bee- three interviews - I'm actually jealous! Good luck

Lilleth - I think I would treat it as an interview. Do you know what the office dress code is? If so, then go slightly smarter, not too much else you'll look like you won't fit in. You don't want to wear a suit if they all wear jeans. But most importantly you need to wear something you feel good in and confident.

Lljkk, definitely apply. If they ask directly you can always say not used it but you've read it (take print out out of your folder) and you think that tis part you've had experience of in this situation, this bit in that situation and can see how this bit etc etc (and highlight some of it!)

I could actually cry. I am sitting in the bathroom avoiding a conversation because DH has "found a job for me to apply to". It's through a contact (hr) of girlfriend of a work acquaintance and the email of the job description has come through this chain of people to me saying to apply ASAP and I mustn't let the job description go any further (I assume its only been advertised internally). It is so far from what I actually want to do as to be laughable. I would hate to do this kind of job and I would be absolutely shite at it. DH knows what I want to do, he's read through enough job descriptions and corrected enough letters to know that I don't want to this kind of thing and what I do want to do. So either he just hasn't paid any attention at all or he wants me to apply and then he and al,his colleagues will know when I don't get the job and he can go ahead and tell me how crap I am and how no one will want to employ me because I couldn't even land myself this poxy job. He is however acting as if I should be eternally grateful to him for having found me this opportunity. Or maybe he just wants to plant a spy (company in question is his work's direct competition.) what the hell do I do? I can send an application, but there is absolutely no way I can blag my way through an interview. And even if I did, they'd fire me within the week. At what point to you apply for job you know you will hate? I feel like banging my head agains the wall. Seriously? This is him supporting me in a job search? What the hell do I do now?

LillethTheCat Fri 01-Feb-13 20:37:52

Snowy I would never apply for a job I hate. Id personally rather be living on benefits than work somewhere I am desperately unhappy, but other people might not be so willing to do that as at least its a job. Will your DH really tell you how crap he thinks you are if you dont get that job? If so then Im not sure if DH is the best person to be getting to help you apply for jobs. My advise is dont apply for it and just carry on looking yourself. Tell your DH that you dont like the sound of that job so you are not going to apply.

Right clothes-wise the top half is fine, a smart officey top, but do I wear trousers or jeans? I dont know what the dress code is. Someone else advised me to wear something smart a bit like something Id wear if I was meeting a friend for shopping. That would be jeans, Doc Martens and a smartish top (or a hoody depending on the friend), but I think that's a bit too casual. I think Im just going to go as though I was going to work there. Smart top, trousers and black boots. It is, after all, a meeting so I do need to be smart. A little bit of make-up will probably go on (even though I do actually never wear it). I did hear (I think it was on TV, but I can't be sure) a phrase "dress for the job you want not the job you have"

Thanks for the help

Snowydrift Fri 01-Feb-13 20:51:22

I would say then either v. dark jeans, but if you have them, just plain smart trousers.

I know, DH might not be the best person, but its that or MIL (and she's never worked, thinks my primary school should be on my cv!). I need someone to correct my grammar etc and as its DH's native language I have little choice. He regularly has a go at me for not having a job. But he will be furious if I don't apply especially as he's 'gone to so much trouble to get the details for me'. At a guess he'll also use it as a reason why we should take the children out of crèche (which of course will mean that even if I did get offered a job, I'd have to turn it down).

lljkk Netherlands Fri 01-Feb-13 20:56:13

At what point to you apply for job you know you will hate?

Only if desperate for the money.
Sorry your DH is so unsupportive, maybe you need to make a case to him what starting job you actually need to get where you want to get to. Have you considered.... leaving the bastard? (ArAr; just shoot me for my black sense of humour).

Lileth I hate to say this, but I think a plain black skirt with black tights or black smart (probably polyester) trousers are the way to go. (Scanning my own wardrobe and noting lack of either, I will dash to charity shop if I get an interview).

I am completely hopeless at makeup but I am getting a hair cut this week (gasp shock horror if you all knew me IRL, last proper hair cut was circa May 2000).

Just applied for a job I think I'd quite like, I feel like I'm pouring heart and soul into these personal statements. Then I'll probably scupper my chances with a stupid typo (cringe).

lljkk Netherlands Fri 01-Feb-13 20:58:45

ps: can you all please yell at me to go to bed & not start another application right now. I need a full day ahead to get a good version of it out.

drmummmsy Fri 01-Feb-13 21:04:46

can i play? hunting for job since phd graduation grin

although getting sloshed tonight though

Snowydrift Sat 02-Feb-13 03:52:25

Write the letter, leave it for an hour or two, then come back to it. Read it out loud if you can.
Hello drmummmsy, good luck with the search. What did you phd in?

lljkk Netherlands Sat 02-Feb-13 11:13:08

What are you looking for, Drmummsy?

drmummmsy Sat 02-Feb-13 13:12:23

anything! has to be local though, can't relocate...

i've been applying for admin - mostly public sector civil servicey stuff, retail and research...

drmummmsy Sat 02-Feb-13 13:14:28

oh morning all! slightly late getting up ahem

thanks all, the phd was sociology...

lljkk Netherlands Sat 02-Feb-13 14:03:35

What about admin position with a charity that has an interest in social issues? Might be a good way to angle it.

I've just applied for a job like that. I was reading about cover letters, what to do to make mine distinct. This time I've dispensed with the opening paragraphs about my work background, and instead went straight for the personal angle: why my background makes me interested in and appreciative of their charity aims. Then I moved on to saying how clever & competent I am. Worth a go.

LillethTheCat Sat 02-Feb-13 14:48:40

I did a degree in Sociology. Not done anything with it though. hmm

Was that the 57 applications and not a single reply thread lljkk I thought that was quite interesting. Im genuinely shocked at some of the people saying that they actually had applications in where people wrote U instead of you or made up words. I know on here I might slip in the odd spelling mistake or gramatical error, but Id never do it when applying for a job.

lljkk Netherlands Sat 02-Feb-13 15:00:56

I resort to txt spk when actually writing texts. Takes forever to write, anyway.
I think the majority of application are just mediocre in their error production. Hope so, anyway.

Snowydrift Sun 03-Feb-13 11:00:55

And today there was a front page article in the Sunday newspaper about 3 children families...DH has always said he wants 3 but I have banned any discussion until youngest is 1 (which is only one month away shock) and he pointedly gave it to me to read. Of course, this would ally help me get a job hmm

Snowydrift Sun 03-Feb-13 11:20:00

I had a thought in the shower today...I used to work in a water company for a holiday job so have experience and there's always one close by. Would it be crazy to ring the local one and ask say "hello, my name is X, I am qualified to do this, I have experience in this. Would you have any part time positions available in your company?" They have no job openings according to their website, but do give an HR number.

LillethTheCat Sun 03-Feb-13 11:50:11

What did that article say? Or what paper was it?

Why not ring or write to them? That's how I got my first ever job, by writing to companies. It was only a part time job while doing my A Levels, but it worked for me. Also I thought the job centre encouraged you to write to companies?

pinkje Sun 03-Feb-13 22:46:36

I applied for a job, using their own online service (and 3 days before the deadline), got an email to say they had received it and when I check the status it says 'in process' - but the original posting said interviews would be held on 4 Feb which is tomorrow ; why have I not heard? Anyone else had similar?
To be honest I didn't think I stood much chance of getting an interview but their own guidelines say they let you know whether you are successful or not getting onto the shortlist. Should I phone them?

lljkk Netherlands Mon 04-Feb-13 08:14:56

Wouldn't hurt to phone, a cheery "Please can you check on the status of my application?" request. Just because their guidelines say they do something means nothing about whether they actually do it (cynical gimmer here).

Another MNer was kind enough to go thru my CV and a sample cover letter to let me know better ways to rewrite it. Unfortunately all she did was irrefutably establish that I have no relevant recent experience at all for the types of posts I am applying for (darnit).

I suppose at least it's a good pointer for what I need to do next instead (voluntary admin jobs).

Snowydrift Mon 04-Feb-13 08:57:48

Oh fuck. They've asked me to come for an interview on Friday. And it seems it will be in French. Double fuck.

Will try and post a link to the newspaper later, I don't think they publish their front pages online, but there maybe a link to a related article. (Basically it was no 3 is the modern status symbol of city dwellers. Oh look, we can afford 3 kids...)

Snowydrift Mon 04-Feb-13 09:34:08
Snowydrift Mon 04-Feb-13 09:38:20

Pinkje - definitely call them. Have your reference number ready, make sure you can see your cv and be ready to give them a good reason to call you for an interview. I was once told to stand up whilst calling as it makes you sound more energetic.

lljkk that's great you've got some feedback and know what you need to do. Don't let it put you off applying for jobs you want to do though, just because it's not recent doesn't mean that they will reject you for it.

I've just called the water company and the HR woman was incredibly rude and couldn't get me off the phone fast enough. so nothing available there sad

lljkk Netherlands Mon 04-Feb-13 10:32:14

Oh dear (water company): just remember it's THEIR loss. Good luck at interview, Snowy, how weak do you think your French is? Just look at it as good practice.

I have thought of a few more things I can put down for recent experience (thank goodness).

I need to sit down when making phone calls, I already sound too scatty & disorganised. blush

Snowydrift Mon 04-Feb-13 10:53:59

My French is weak! I can manage general conversations, but no way would I be able to talk about work type things. Could be interesting.
I always think I'll probably trip over something and inadvertently swear if I walk around whilst on the phone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now