Problems with schools and differentiation - where do we go now?

(31 Posts)
hadenuffnowwiththis Fri 20-Sep-13 11:23:33

Well, as the name change suggests, I am rapidly losing the will to live with this.

We have changed schools and it seems even less suitable than the last one.

Please share your school nightmares so that I know I am not alone.

We really want to get it right for DS, I am now worried about the long term consequences for him. Has anyone had any support from any external bodies in both choosing the right school and ensuring the right level of work/differentiation for someone who hits IQ and subject standardised test ceilings.

Regular poster who does not want to 'out' herself, would love to hear of some happy endings and how you dealt with things. Feel free to PM me.

hadenuffnowwiththis Fri 20-Sep-13 14:44:15

I have heard of the good schools guide and I suppose potentialplus.org, although they do not help with recommending a school per se.

Periwinkle007 Fri 20-Sep-13 16:08:25

I fear we are just starting this battle . I am not sure how to point out to the school that the work DD is doing in Yr1 is so basic she could do it before she went into reception.

musicalfamily Fri 20-Sep-13 18:50:29

We have the same problem. I don't know what the answer is. I am sick and tired of stressing out about it. It makes my blood boil.

metranilvavin Sun 22-Sep-13 09:54:31

Periwinkle. I just say it now, it's the only way anything happens. DD is currently doing work at the start of Yr2 that she could have done at the start of reception. ONe of the things I hate most is having to start all over again with a new teacher as though every year before just hasn't happened.

hadenuffnowwiththis Sun 22-Sep-13 20:45:44

Yes, anyone would think that schools did not do 'handovers'. I suppose it is worth getting SENCO involved for this reason - someone with overall responsibility for DC, whichever year they are in.

Periwinkle007 Sun 22-Sep-13 22:43:11

I am meeting with the SENCO this week hopefully about something else to do with DD1 so I think I will mention it then and see what is said. It is frustrating. I don't want her to miss out any work so I can understand having to cover stuff but I don't think she should be coming home saying the work is too easy and she is trying to make it harder for herself (like if they have to come up with words most just copy what is on the board so she adds in lots of her own and challenges herself to come up with something more unusual than anyone else would think of)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now