Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hepatitis A vaccine - sensible or OTT?

(4 Posts)
Viewofthegarden Sat 09-Jul-16 14:28:44

We have booked a week's holiday to Croatia in late summer, staying at a big hotel in a popular tourist resort. I've been looking at the vaccination advice on the website that is linked to Foreign Office Travel Advice. It recommends that people staying with locals in Croatia or staying for extended periods should get the Hep A vaccine. It then says, "Hepatitis A vaccine is well tolerated and affords long-lasting protection, it could be considered for all previously unvaccinated travellers at the discretion of their healthcare provider."

So is it sensible to get vaccinated against Hep A as a precaution even though we're not in a high risk group? Or will a GP only give the vaccine if you're travelling to a country where the risk is higher? Any advice welcome.

AveEldon Sun 10-Jul-16 09:34:58

No mention of getting Hep A vax on the NHS website for Croatia
www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/europe--russia/croatia.aspx

Viewofthegarden Sun 10-Jul-16 23:26:05

Thank you. As they don't mention it at all, I assume they regard any risk as very low.

Ingles2 Sun 10-Jul-16 23:32:26

Does your gp surgery have a travel clinic? If so make an appt.. And they will talk over what you need. My 15yr old son left for a school trip to China today and had various vaccines inc hep a for free

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now