Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Painful lump in scar?

(5 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Sat 14-May-16 21:49:24

Two and half(ish) years ago, DH had a bad accident at work with a petrol circular saw. He was cutting a crash barrier when suddenly the saw blade bit down on the metal, jumped and simultaneously twisted back at him and the blade sliced his chest open and fractured his sternum, The only reason he is alive is because his work tshirt snagged the blade and stopped it spinning.

Anyway, the scar has a lump in it where one of the stitches was, and DH says that this lump hurts, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does just a little bit and if he does a lot of work, like lifting etc, it really aches quite badly. DH keeps saying he will see his GP about it but as of yet he hasn't got around to booking an appointment hmm

Does anyone know if this is something to be concerned about? And if anyone thinks that maybe a stitch was left behind, it's a possibility but very unlikely. I was with him when he was stitched up and saw them go in, and I was with him when they were removed and the same amount came out.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Sat 14-May-16 21:52:18

Ah crap. Didn't mean to post this in AIBU!

amarmai Sat 14-May-16 22:21:14

whatever is hurting now is prob going to hurt a lot more as he gets older. Get it checked and see if he can be helped.

KurriKurri Sun 15-May-16 17:07:12

My sister had something similar sounding on her C section scar - at the end of it - a big lump. It turns out to be a sort of excessive growth of scar tissue - she had it surgically removed and all is fine now.

I have had two smallish lumps grow at the end of stitched wound sites - they both turned out to be full of a kind of locked in infection which eventually came too the surface and came out as pus. The only place where I have had a stitch left in was in my belly button (after a laparoscopy) about 18 mnths after the op. all the area suddenly swelled up and got very red hot and inflamed and a light press released a load of pus and an old stitch. Sorry - that's all a bit grim and revolting grin but thought it might help you with an idea of what different things might look like.

Your DH's lump sounds more like my sister's to me - he should def go to the docs, especially if it is painful - there might be a bit of trapped infection as well and it would be easily sorted out, - my sister's was removed under local anaesthetic - no big deal.

Deckthehallswithjammydodgers Mon 16-May-16 07:49:36

Could also be a retained stitch that is trying to work its way out he'd be best off seeing the gp xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now