Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Looking after a toddler following prolapse repair - help!

(4 Posts)
likeaboss Wed 04-May-16 20:45:37

Having surgery to correct a prolapse on Friday. DH has booked the following week off work but that's all he can take.

We have an extremely active 1.5yr old shock - I'm panicking slightly about the fact I won't be able to lift her for weeks after the op!

Has anyone got any tips/been through this? I'm going to struggle as it is not being able to do housework/DIY, but I'm worried about looking after DD whilst recovering. Parents and PIL are nearby and will have her for a few days a week, but that's all they can do due to their own work schedules.

sadie9 Thu 05-May-16 10:50:05

It will be tough the first few weeks. But you will get through it and will come on in leaps and bounds each week. You will come out of hospital like a shuffly old lady aged 85, the next week feel 75, the next week aged 70 etc.
I was told to do absolutely nothing for one whole week. you do have to do a little bit of walking around to help the circulation but lie on the sofa most of the time the first week.
The week your husband is off helping you, you can plan how you will manage on your own, because you'll know what you are capable of or not capable of.
The first day home I had to go upstairs one step at a time. I had an anterior and posterior repair.
Everyone is different how they get over it, and depending what they have done. I only needed paracetamol for about a week after then on and off as needed.
It is like having a massive invisible pregnant tummy - you can't bend down and pick stuff up and you can't like reach into a cupboard and pull something towards you - even a dinner plate, nor empty the bottom tray of the dishwasher. You will discover what your stomach and abdomen muscles do. You will probably be sitting gingerly on one cheek for a few weeks if on a kitchen chair.
Saucepans and stuff you can slide along the counter instead of lifting. Fill the kettle with cups of water rather than lift it. Pasta every night / takeaway will do no one any harm for a couple of weeks.
Regarding the toddler, you can make one room toddler 'safe' and spend your time in there as much as possible (so the toddler can't escape!).
And then do everything on the floor or get her to crawl up on the sofa into a chair to be changed while you kneel on the floor. So get down on your knees, or all fours to do stuff don't bend down. You will want to spend your time on the sofa as much as possible. You won't be able to push her in the buggy to take her for a walk for a few weeks because it would just pull/push your tummy too much. But you might be able to wheel her very carefully in the house, pushing it with your foot etc, if you had to get her from one room to the other or wheel her to sleep using your arm while sitting down.
It will be worth it in the end. The first day home now you may well get tearful and feel a bit down, because it is then it only hits you how much you can't do in comparision to how you were before you went in. The cure seems worse than the disease for the first 3 weeks or so. Try not to be alarmed it will all get better week by week you will see a vast improvement.
So it's worth trying to get as much help as you can so you don't push on your repair while the stitches are settling those first couple of weeks.
I know you must be worried about the op tomorrow, but they will take great care of you in the hospital and fingers crossed it'll all go smoothly for you.

likeaboss Thu 05-May-16 18:58:05

sadie that's wonderful and so helpful, thank you so much for your tips! flowers

Luckily getting it done through private health insurance so I've got a private room and ensuite. Did you have any trouble with ahem going to the toilet after? The consultant mentioned laxatives but not sure how well they'll work!

sadie9 Thu 05-May-16 20:35:03

I was in a private hospital too so you get a nice rest once it's over. And your dinner on a tray, we know what a treat that is.
I hadn't done a poo before I left hospital, so it was a couple of days after that. It wasn't as bad as I thought. Physio told me to do squeezes of the rear end as such rather than strain of any kind. And put the feet up on a low height so your knees are slightly higher than your bum. I stocked up on prune juice (yuck) and ate loads of fruit afterwards. I did buy duphulac but never used it in the end.
Good luck, feel free to PM me afterwards if you want to ask anything. The pack they put in can be uncomfortable but keep asking for pain relief if you need it, even if you are just uncomfortable. They do a great painkilling suppository in the hospitals, forget what it's called. Pack is only for 24hrs or slightly less so not too bad after that.
best of luck with it flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now