Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Laser eye surgery when depressed

(9 Posts)
Lijah82 Wed 20-Aug-14 10:22:00

Hi all, I'm considering having laser eye surgery but I'm a bit worried I might be turned down as I'm on antidepressants (Prozac). I went for a consultation at Optical Express a while ago and I remember the questionnaire asking if I had suffered from depression. I wasn't on anti depressants at that time. I'm particularly interested in having the surgery at Moorfields, has anyone ever had laser eye surgery at Moorfields (or anywhere else) while on antidepressants? Btw, I have high myopia of -7 sad

Matildathecat Wed 20-Aug-14 11:57:55

Hello, sorry this might not be any use at all but I have had laser eye surgery at Moorfields about ten years ago. I wasn't on ads, though.

I think I probably did fill in a health questionnaire but can't remember if depression was mentioned.

Other than possibly being further depressed if you weren't happy with the results I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be possible. Read the patient info leaflet for your ads and then if unsure just call up one of the consultants secretaries and ask the question. I'm sure they will be able to get back to you with an answer.

I was and am really pleased with my results. After I had it done lots of my friends and relations had theirs done, too. All happy.

Lijah82 Thu 21-Aug-14 13:41:58

Thank you for your reply. It's good to hear that you had it done 10 years ago and are still happy with the results. Can you remember what the name of your surgeon was and what your prescription was before surgery? I'm thinking of lasek rather than lasik at Moorfields with either Julian Stevens or David Gartry. Bit worried about dry eye though as I already have a bit of that now.

MagpieMama Thu 21-Aug-14 14:07:18

I have bipolar affective disorder and had laser eye surgery 4 years ago. They wrote to my psychiatrist (I think to enquire about mental capacity to make sure it wasn't a manic whim) but it didn't cause any issues.

I had lasik done 12-14 years ago. I was -7.5, and was corrected to -1. Now that I'm in my 40s, that -1 actually works to my benefit. I am delighted I had it done all those years ago.

I had mine done in US.

Matildathecat Thu 21-Aug-14 15:33:30

Sorry, I can't remember but it was a woman. I have heard of both the names you mention and I'm sure they are both excellent.

I was very worried about the dry eyes. The reason I had the surgery was because my eyes were too dry to wear contacts. I won't lie, even now first thing in the morning they are very dry until I've done a few big blinks. Other than that, though they have been fine.

I was rising forty when it was done and so, to avoid needing reading glasses too soon I had one eye slightly under corrected so I have one long eye and one short eye. You can't tell unless they are tested individually. I'm now 48 and still don't wear glasses for anything so a very happy customer. I'm sure the techniques have improved in ten years, too.

However, I would never recommend surgery, especially non essential surgery to anyone. Just telling you my experience. smile

Matildathecat Thu 21-Aug-14 15:37:49

Sorry , forgot a couple of things. I was a bit sneaky and went to Boots for a free laser consultation just to check I was a suitable candidate. Cheaper than paying for a private consultation only to find out that you aren't suitable for some reason.

Boots were a bit worried because I used to get a lot of cold sores. So when I was having the surgery my GP prescribed a course of acyclovir to keep me cold sore free as it's dangerous to get the virus into the eyes post surgery. So that was very useful to know.

fanjobiscuits Thu 21-Aug-14 15:39:32

Dr Gartry is excellent. You can book a consultation (you pay) and raise your concerns with him. I would trust him to be honest about what would/wouldn't be an issue .

Lijah82 Sat 23-Aug-14 23:17:17

Matildathecat: I've heard about many people in their 40s having one eye undercorrected to avoid needing reading glasses. It's a good idea. I'm 31 at the moment so I'm guessing they would just correct me for distance because of my age.

MomOfTwoGirls2: Can you still function without glasses at -1? I've been wondering what I will do if I have lasik/lasek and then my eyesight regresses again in the future. I'd like to be able to still go out without glasses occasionally but not sure how good/bad -1 vision is?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now