Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Are there any NSAIDs that don't upset tummies?

(11 Posts)

Getting a bit desperate as my gp has tried me on several incl meloxicam, naproxen, diclofenac Celebrex and now etodolac. I take double lansoprazole and the etodolac is being horrid, feel sick and tummy pain. I really need something.

AimeeDubucqdeRivery Tue 25-Mar-14 20:24:29

None that I know of.

Have you considered taking voltarol suppositories instead? Might be worth trying in the circs.

AimeeDubucqdeRivery Tue 25-Mar-14 20:25:34

Diclofenac even, apologies. Used to calling them by old brand name rather than generic!

That's an idea Aimee, I'll ask my gp about that. Thanks!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 25-Mar-14 22:35:37

I can't take anything either, the sickness/nausea is dreadful, isn't it? Hope you find an alternative.

wonkylegs Tue 25-Mar-14 22:46:25

I would have said Etodolac as that's usually the one that's prescribed for people with problem stomachs, with a proton pump inhibitor ie. Lansoprazole. I take Etodolac with omeprazole & have upped the dose of the latter when I've had problems.
TBH your doctor is the best person to advise - it sounds like they are trying things logically even if it's frustrating for you.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 25-Mar-14 22:53:19

Wonky-that's interesting,I was told that I could just continue with paracetamol as it was 'the most effective pain killer.' I will investigate a bit more and ask the doctor.

wonkylegs Wed 26-Mar-14 07:09:14

Paracetamol is an effective painkiller but that is different to a NSAID/Anti inflammatory.
You can take them together because they do different things - one treats pain & the other inflammation which causes pain.
I take approx 10 different drugs (some to treat my RA, some to deal with the pain, some to combat the side effects) but my NSAID is Etodolac.

CMOTDibbler Wed 26-Mar-14 07:14:13

When I need anti inflamms I get Arcoxia with ompeprazole and it doesn't upset me, unlike all the other NSAIDs I've taken in the past

I have a new gp who is determined to find something for me after a long long time of trying different NSAIDs then giving up and existing in pain before I couldn't take it any longer and going back for something new whilst upping the cocodamol. Normally I can take them for a while before my tummy says no but the etodolac was really quick.

Arcoxia looks potentially useful.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 26-Mar-14 07:54:55

Yes,I specifically need the anti inflammatory properties rather than just a pain killer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now