Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ouch!!!!!!!!! Ooooouuuuuuccccchhh!!!! Knee is so painful.

(6 Posts)
ormirian Sun 16-Mar-14 19:08:02

I have done something to my right knee. Been a bit niggly before now, slightly sore and clicky but bearable and got better in a few weeks. But about 6 weeks ago the pain began again, I ignored it, carried on, then strapped it, carried on, used ibugel, carried on.....realised actually it's not normal to have trouble walking let alone running.... So I have had to stop.

Knee is painful all the time, agonising when I have to walk especially when I have to step up or down. If I bang my foot at all I hit the roof. Not sore to the touch except on the lower inside of my kneecap. Fed up and ratty sad

I will see my gp tomorrow but I know he will just say 'hmm looks painful. RICE!' Anyone experienced something like this? Any therapy that can help to clear it up quicker?

Thanks.

isshoes Sun 16-Mar-14 21:12:05

Not sure what you mean about rice but yes, I have had issues with one knee for years. Kept being fobbed off and told to lose weight or take anti-inflammatories until one GP finally referred me to a physio service and an x-ray revealed that I had lots of lose calcium in my knee joint. Have had one operation but it has come back, so expecting another one soon.

ormirian Sun 16-Mar-14 21:41:42

Thanks isshoes, sorry RICE = rest ice compression elevation. Not always practical with kids and job. I guess I will have to try and ensure he takes it seriously. Right now I will just sob hysterically it's so painful

Maiziemonkey Mon 17-Mar-14 02:20:40

use bag of peas to ice- it can mould round the joint. i broke acl ligament aged 14, get it seen, if fobbed off get 2nd, 3rd 4th opinion , dont give up or ignore it. Knees can be tricky to know what is going on- broken ligament was the one thing they said it would NOT be until they did the arthroscopy grin also start taking ibuprofen 3 times a day so it can help with the inflammation- but not a cure, just helps.

Make sure you boss that GP tomorrow! DH was fobbed off years ago with anti-inflammatories (and it's hard enough getting him to the docs as it is). When he finally saw a more sympathetic GP who referred him for test they discovered that his knee was really damaged and he ended up having minor surgery.

ormirian Mon 17-Mar-14 06:51:47

Thank you. DB USED to run a lot and ended up with a knee problem. I can't remember exactly what - it was about 25 yrs ago - but I seem to remember something about his kneecap being worn away and having to be repaired. Fingers crossed it isn't that! It took nearly a year to recover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now