Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Let's drink a lil bit more water

(77 Posts)
lil1ady Tue 07-Jan-14 19:46:28

So this is the first thread I'm starting on here. It is in reality a 2nd thread to follow up Zings Christmas drink more water challenge.

I drink far too much tea, and not enough water. When I increased my water intake for Zings challenge I felt loads better, my skin was much healthier and I felt good that I was benefiting my health.

So go and install the Hydro app on your phone's and join me for my water challenge!

southeastastra Tue 07-Jan-14 19:48:09

i watched a programme the other day where someone died from drinking too much water <brings down thread>

ghostinthecanvas Tue 07-Jan-14 19:56:12

How do you know what's in your food? Giving it a go tho.

ghostinthecanvas Tue 07-Jan-14 20:05:10

Just reread my own question. confused I meant the water content in food. Obviously. It asks on the app. blush

lil1ady Tue 07-Jan-14 20:38:13

You'd have to drink a heck of a lot of water to die from it south, and I drink sweet FA at the moment so I'm not worried!

ghost when I used it before I just guessed at 200ml...I kept it low to give me a higher target to drink. My target came out about 1.7l so I was happy with that. I don't eat alot of fresh fruit though so I figured I probably don't really get that much from my food? I wonder if Google could help us....

lil1ady Tue 07-Jan-14 20:41:28

Ok, so a quick check on Google suggests 20% of your water intake should come from your food. So if you're supposed to have 2litres of water a day, that would mean 400ml from food? Depends if you chomp lettuce and watermelon all day or chocolate and gin I suppose!

Minion Tue 07-Jan-14 21:02:49

I'm in lil, Ive chugged 5 glasses already today, downside... Best friends with the porcelain throne...
Ah we'll, needs must eh lil!

CosyTeaBags Tue 07-Jan-14 21:13:31

I'm in too Lil

Almost all of my water intake comes with a teabag steeped in it...

lil1ady Tue 07-Jan-14 21:30:09

min I had that when I first started but after a week or so I was weeing less again! hang in there, its for a good cause grin

cosy I'm the same...I've had 5 drinks like min but mine have all been tea. decaf tho wink

lil1ady Tue 07-Jan-14 21:47:04

ok so I've updated my hydro app and it says I need to drink 1.7l. I'm going to aim for 1.2l to start with and work my way up. I find starting with 200ml to take my vits starts me off well. I shall report back tomorrow grin

CosyTeaBags Wed 08-Jan-14 08:26:08

I couldn't find the Hydro app... can anyone point me in the right direction?

Making an effort, going to glug a glass of water now before leaving for work. (already had 1 cup of tea...)

I found a Drink More Water app is that it?

Drinking water is probably the right one?

ghostinthecanvas Wed 08-Jan-14 09:20:41

Lil I am more a chocolate and gin person! Thanks for the info. I am hoping to improve my memory by increasing my water intake. As well as all the other benefits.

lil1ady Wed 08-Jan-14 17:35:00

Hydro link for play store. if you are on iOS tho your on Ur own!

I have dine rubbish today, because being the snob I am I only drink bottled water and I left it at home! going to try at least 500ml tonight to get up to 700ml total today.

how's everyone else doing?

Nessalina Wed 08-Jan-14 20:31:19

Hey lil I'm in grin
Going to try for 1 litre a day to start with - I reckon that'll pet than double my current efforts!

fedup21 Wed 08-Jan-14 21:24:21

Does tea not count at all then? I've often wondered this? I know it has caffeine which makes you retain water but surely drinking tea is better at hydrating you than drinking nothing???

lil1ady Wed 08-Jan-14 22:00:09

hi fed there are different views on tea/coffee etc. for the purpose of this thread we are just counting water. tap, bottled, hot, cold, with a slice of lemon in, whatever works!

lil1ady Wed 08-Jan-14 22:01:36

How have you done today nessa? my extra 500ml bottle didn't happen! Might have a hot water with a slice of lemon now before I go bed. getting hungry because I'm dieting too so hopefully it will stem my cravings!

Nessalina Thu 09-Jan-14 08:54:38

I've filled up my bottle this morning, ready to go! Planning to drink one by lunchtime then refill! smile

CosyTeaBags Thu 09-Jan-14 09:09:56

I managed 4 big glasses yesterday, (plus 2 cups of tea and one herbal)

Kept a big glass of water at my desk and didn't even notice I was drinking it, it just went!

Minion Thu 09-Jan-14 09:53:43

I'm on 6 250ml glasses a day and strangely enough it's filled me right up. Couldn't even have lunch yesterday cause of it!
Sweeet!

lil1ady Thu 09-Jan-14 18:00:54

I've done 700ml today and dancing tonight so will def manage another 500minimum

Nessalina Thu 09-Jan-14 18:08:14

I suck! Not even finished one bottle confused My job makes drinking hard! If I drink all evening now I'll be peeing all night... This is trickier than expected!

Minion Thu 09-Jan-14 20:47:52

I literally cannot move more than 20ft from the loo. This is hard going. I've been about ten times today already. Grrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now