Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Short of breath and pain in my back. Had gallbladder removed last week

(56 Posts)
Starshaker Wed 04-Dec-13 08:41:43

I'm in pain and feel short of breath/winded. It feels like I have an elephant sitting on my back. Going to the docs isn't exactly an option as I have 2 3 year olds off nursery with D&V and there is no way I can take them with me. Is this normal?

wonderingagain Wed 11-Dec-13 14:49:07

Hope you are OK and have support smile

I take it you managed to get some childcare?

Starshaker Wed 11-Dec-13 14:17:25

Well I'll still in hospital. Had my scan today so now it's more waiting

Starshaker Tue 10-Dec-13 09:55:26

No when I had my op I was kept over night but that was all.

wonderingagain Tue 10-Dec-13 00:35:38

I'm not feeling so guilty about nagging you now!

Glad you are in safe hands. smile

3littlefrogs Mon 09-Dec-13 21:39:38

When you had your gall bladder op were you in hospital more than 24 hours?

If so, were you given injections in your tummy afterwards?

ipswichwitch Mon 09-Dec-13 21:34:50

Glad you've got sorted - I was concerned about PE given your symptoms. Take it the jabs are anti-coag (enoxaparin/heparin) - you may be on it a while. Hopefully you'll get home soon, and look after yourself (that's an order!)

Ledkr Mon 09-Dec-13 21:03:10

<wags finger> told you so!
I'm glad you went and are getting it sorted.
Get well soon

3littlefrogs Mon 09-Dec-13 20:48:00

Thank goodness you went to be checked.

Another one here who was worried.

DowntonTrout Mon 09-Dec-13 20:25:10

Really glad you went back.

I was worried and kept checking to see if you'd posted again. Hope they manage to sort you out and that you're feeling better soon.

AnyFuckersfrogslegs35 Mon 09-Dec-13 20:19:17

Aww Star, sorry to hear you're still suffering but glad you're in the right place now.
Get well soon x

lougle Mon 09-Dec-13 19:51:24

Well done for going in. I hope you get better soon.

notapizzaeater Mon 09-Dec-13 19:43:58

Best place for you to be. Hope u get better soon x

Starshaker Mon 09-Dec-13 19:27:53

They did the d-dimmer test and it came back positive. I'm getting stingy jags and being kept in. It's a good job I went back to the docs

ChestyNutRoastingOnAnOpenFire Mon 09-Dec-13 12:42:27

Glad You've decided to get checked.

Good luck thanks

caketinrosie Mon 09-Dec-13 11:44:47

Ah star, Hope you find out the problem today. Get well soon, over here for handholding thanks

notapizzaeater Mon 09-Dec-13 11:31:13

Hope it's all ok x

Starshaker Mon 09-Dec-13 11:28:09

Ok felt bad again so went to go this morning. I'm now in a&e waiting on an x-Ray.

Starshaker Sat 07-Dec-13 20:14:50

Sorry guys. I'm feeling a bit better. Didn't go back because I really didn't have anybody for the kids. I realised I really need to sort out arrangements in case I need something. I'm not breathless anymore and the pain has gone. Thank you all for the advice even though I couldn't take it

passedgo Sat 07-Dec-13 18:58:00

How I wish I never engaged with these medical emergency threads. I am worried about you OP. Please keep us posted.

DowntonTrout Fri 06-Dec-13 20:13:56

No never, we were abroad at the time. Thank goodness for private health insurance- the hospital were fantastic.

Still, shows you can never be too careful, and even doctors get it wrong sometimes.

HansieMom Fri 06-Dec-13 18:55:34

Downtown, did that doc ever apologize to you and your DD? He certainly had a learning experience that day.

3littlefrogs Fri 06-Dec-13 09:55:58

As soon as I read your post Op I thought pulmonary embolus.

You need to go to A&E asap. Take the children with you if necessary.

Post operative PE can be fatal.

caketinrosie Fri 06-Dec-13 09:54:07

Starshaker ignore all scary posts ring the ward and speak to staff there. On your paperwork there will be a direct dial number. Any post op concerns should be investigated. Arrange a sitter just in case, I wouldn't feel a bit put out if a friend needed me, surely you would feel the same? You are as important as anyone else so give yourself a bit of tlc and get some medical advice. Hugs to you get well soon thanks

DowntonTrout Fri 06-Dec-13 09:46:50

My DD had her appendix out a few years ago.

A week later she was complaining of pain and couldn't stand up straight. We saw a GP who was quite dismissive, saying that he had been out playing tennis a week after his appendectomy. The wound had healed nicely, her temp was fine and he obviously felt she was swinging the lead.

He grudgingly took a urine sample. We got a call an hour later to go to hospital as there were raised levels of something or other in the sample. DD had infection and an internal abscess and I spent a week in hospital with her on Iv antibiotics. It took weeks and weeks to get over, much worse than the initial surgery. If we had left her much longer she would have developed septaceamia and that doesn't bear thinking about.

Ledkr Fri 06-Dec-13 09:35:32

Op a few months ago another mumsnetter had these symptoms and I (an ex nurse) made her go to the drs where she was found to have a pulmonary embolism (clot in lung) which will definitely kill if left untreated.
After surgery you are susceptible to this so I really would say that you need to go to a and e kids In tow if necessary.
Death from this would be sudden and could be far more traumatic for your kids than a trio to the hospital.
Oh and change GPS too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now