Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Short of breath and pain in my back. Had gallbladder removed last week

(56 Posts)
Starshaker Wed 04-Dec-13 08:41:43

I'm in pain and feel short of breath/winded. It feels like I have an elephant sitting on my back. Going to the docs isn't exactly an option as I have 2 3 year olds off nursery with D&V and there is no way I can take them with me. Is this normal?

DowntonTrout Fri 06-Dec-13 00:16:28

starshaker I have followed and commented on this since you first posted.

There is no easyvway to say this. If you leave this you could die. Who will look after your children then? Of course it could be nothing but do you really want to take hat risk? I mean that in the kindest possible way.

Leverette Fri 06-Dec-13 00:19:04

A&E please.

Call an ambulance and take the kids with you if there is no-one to help.

purplewithred Fri 06-Dec-13 00:49:06

What's your pulse like?

ipswichwitch Fri 06-Dec-13 09:21:13

Op please take note of what downtontrout has posted. Your Gp is an idiot - you can't diagnose a PE just by looking at you, and your symptoms plus the fact you are post surgery ring gigantic alarm bells for me - i do the scans that check for pulmonary embolism, you should have a blood test (d-dimer), chest X-ray and if that's clear a lung scan.

Better to inconvenience someone for a few hours to get yourself checked out than the alternative.

ipswichwitch Fri 06-Dec-13 09:25:47

Also, even if it is "just an infection" it needs treated. Simple infections can develop into something a whole hell of a lot worse.

LittleMissRed Fri 06-Dec-13 09:29:09

I came on to say exactly what Downtown said. It might sound harsh, but you need to be healthy and get better for your children. Go to A & E and get to the bottom of it.

Ledkr Fri 06-Dec-13 09:35:32

Op a few months ago another mumsnetter had these symptoms and I (an ex nurse) made her go to the drs where she was found to have a pulmonary embolism (clot in lung) which will definitely kill if left untreated.
After surgery you are susceptible to this so I really would say that you need to go to a and e kids In tow if necessary.
Death from this would be sudden and could be far more traumatic for your kids than a trio to the hospital.
Oh and change GPS too.

DowntonTrout Fri 06-Dec-13 09:46:50

My DD had her appendix out a few years ago.

A week later she was complaining of pain and couldn't stand up straight. We saw a GP who was quite dismissive, saying that he had been out playing tennis a week after his appendectomy. The wound had healed nicely, her temp was fine and he obviously felt she was swinging the lead.

He grudgingly took a urine sample. We got a call an hour later to go to hospital as there were raised levels of something or other in the sample. DD had infection and an internal abscess and I spent a week in hospital with her on Iv antibiotics. It took weeks and weeks to get over, much worse than the initial surgery. If we had left her much longer she would have developed septaceamia and that doesn't bear thinking about.

caketinrosie Fri 06-Dec-13 09:54:07

Starshaker ignore all scary posts ring the ward and speak to staff there. On your paperwork there will be a direct dial number. Any post op concerns should be investigated. Arrange a sitter just in case, I wouldn't feel a bit put out if a friend needed me, surely you would feel the same? You are as important as anyone else so give yourself a bit of tlc and get some medical advice. Hugs to you get well soon thanks

3littlefrogs Fri 06-Dec-13 09:55:58

As soon as I read your post Op I thought pulmonary embolus.

You need to go to A&E asap. Take the children with you if necessary.

Post operative PE can be fatal.

HansieMom Fri 06-Dec-13 18:55:34

Downtown, did that doc ever apologize to you and your DD? He certainly had a learning experience that day.

DowntonTrout Fri 06-Dec-13 20:13:56

No never, we were abroad at the time. Thank goodness for private health insurance- the hospital were fantastic.

Still, shows you can never be too careful, and even doctors get it wrong sometimes.

passedgo Sat 07-Dec-13 18:58:00

How I wish I never engaged with these medical emergency threads. I am worried about you OP. Please keep us posted.

Starshaker Sat 07-Dec-13 20:14:50

Sorry guys. I'm feeling a bit better. Didn't go back because I really didn't have anybody for the kids. I realised I really need to sort out arrangements in case I need something. I'm not breathless anymore and the pain has gone. Thank you all for the advice even though I couldn't take it

Starshaker Mon 09-Dec-13 11:28:09

Ok felt bad again so went to go this morning. I'm now in a&e waiting on an x-Ray.

notapizzaeater Mon 09-Dec-13 11:31:13

Hope it's all ok x

caketinrosie Mon 09-Dec-13 11:44:47

Ah star, Hope you find out the problem today. Get well soon, over here for handholding thanks

ChestyNutRoastingOnAnOpenFire Mon 09-Dec-13 12:42:27

Glad You've decided to get checked.

Good luck thanks

Starshaker Mon 09-Dec-13 19:27:53

They did the d-dimmer test and it came back positive. I'm getting stingy jags and being kept in. It's a good job I went back to the docs

notapizzaeater Mon 09-Dec-13 19:43:58

Best place for you to be. Hope u get better soon x

lougle Mon 09-Dec-13 19:51:24

Well done for going in. I hope you get better soon.

AnyFuckersfrogslegs35 Mon 09-Dec-13 20:19:17

Aww Star, sorry to hear you're still suffering but glad you're in the right place now.
Get well soon x

DowntonTrout Mon 09-Dec-13 20:25:10

Really glad you went back.

I was worried and kept checking to see if you'd posted again. Hope they manage to sort you out and that you're feeling better soon.

3littlefrogs Mon 09-Dec-13 20:48:00

Thank goodness you went to be checked.

Another one here who was worried.

Ledkr Mon 09-Dec-13 21:03:10

<wags finger> told you so!
I'm glad you went and are getting it sorted.
Get well soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now