Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

How do I find out what assistance is available for travel to radiotherapy?

(14 Posts)
HogFucker Wed 30-Oct-13 21:51:47

My Father has an extensive period of radiotherapy coming up and he and my Mum are too elderly to cope with driving every day for weeks. I can only help with some of it. How do I find out what help is available?

Thanks

malteserzz Wed 30-Oct-13 22:19:17

I'd give Macmillan a ring and see what they suggest
Best wishes to your dad

HogFucker Wed 30-Oct-13 22:24:46

Thanks Malteser.

ask the hospital - the radiotherapy dept. should have hospital transport available- I was lucky enough to have this as my journey was quite long.

HogFucker Wed 30-Oct-13 22:49:12

Thank you both. They live quite a distance away though and have to travel to this hospital due to the rare nature of the cancer, so not sure if that would apply Mary (sorry to hear that you needed this too sad). They are elderly, but don't need financial assistance so don't know if that counts against them - they are happy to pay for it.

Ahardyfool Wed 30-Oct-13 22:51:16

Have they applied for Attendance Allowance if they are over age 65?

Ahardyfool Wed 30-Oct-13 22:52:08

Oops, sorry, just seen the problem is practical rather than financial.

HogFucker Wed 30-Oct-13 22:54:12

What is that Ahardyfool ? It's not so much the financial aspect as the fact my Father can only walk a few meters without needing to stop, so trains/buses are out. My mum is elderly to be driving every day for a number of weeks. I can do some of the trips but it depends on whether they clash with school pick up and if my DH is around at the point radiotherapy starts.

Ahardyfool Wed 30-Oct-13 23:08:50

Well the Attendance Allowance is for additional care needs - but I'm afraid only helpful in a monetary way. I just sent of the application for my dad who has end stage cancer.

Do you have support from Macmillan? If not the I would suggest asking for this - they are amazing at supporting all emotional, practical and medical aspects so would be well placed to hell you find a solution to this dilemma.

Hope the treatment goes well for your father.

goodasitgets Wed 30-Oct-13 23:09:15

Try googling your area + patient transport. The hospital can usually advise too

HogFucker Wed 30-Oct-13 23:31:14

Thanks everyone.

CMOTDibbler Thu 31-Oct-13 07:25:39

You/they need to talk to the pre treatment radiographers where he will be treated, and they will be able to organise transport (though it can make a very long day), and if he is having to go an especially long distance some RT units have a hostel where patients can stay Monday-Friday.

Matildathecat Thu 31-Oct-13 12:18:30

Contact the local volunteer centre. Requests for hospital trips are really common and I guess would be sorted quite easily. You can contribute petrol costs etc. nicer than hospital transport because it's only you and you are taken straight there and back.

HogFucker Fri 01-Nov-13 21:23:19

Thanks Matilda and CMO

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now