Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Open for tea in Teacake Towers

(228 Posts)
tunnocksteacake Tue 15-Oct-13 13:17:27

Come and join me. Today there is a tarte de Santiago to be eaten - a nice lemony cake and also gluten free.

DH hit 1000k on his bike today (from the start of this year). He is great. Radiotherapy starts on Mon.

We have had more visitors and fed them roasts and sticky toffee pudding. We have had a couple of nights away on our own at Cotswold Water Park (great apart from the bit where I had to drive all the way home and back because we both forgot DH's tablets!).

DD is two on Saturday. Two! And more lovely by the day. DS is having a great time at school and his swimming lessons.

So we are a functioning family still. Phew.

Off to hang the washing out. Do pop by, everyone else is hmm grin (two more visitors before the weekend)

tunnocksteacake Tue 15-Oct-13 13:17:55

Oh please could someone competent link to previous thread? Thanks!

tunnocksteacake Tue 15-Oct-13 13:59:37

Oh no! No one fancies my cake!

LittleTulip Tue 15-Oct-13 14:08:44

I would love some cake thank you. Unfortunately I am pretty crap at linking the old threads do will leave that to someone else.

Wowsers at Mr. Tunnocks passing the 1K km mark on his bike! And it is good to see you are functioning as a family. Happy Birthday to little Tunnocks too.

In my prayers as always thanks

ClockWatchingLady Tue 15-Oct-13 14:44:25

Hello Tunnocks!
That all sounds rather fab. As do all the Tunnockses.
Brilliant about the 1k - very very impressed.

I have never linked before, but will attempt it now:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/1837738-Further-news-from-Teacake-Towers

I'm bringing carrot cake, by the way, and strong coffee.

Thank you so much for the update. Really pleased you've been having such good times.

LordElpuz Tue 15-Oct-13 20:38:36

Lemon cake for me and I'd love to hear more about Cotswold Water Park, please smile

tunnocksteacake Tue 15-Oct-13 23:12:56

Wouldn't go as far as saying we are having good times, but we are doing our best indeed.

Thanks for checking in, I'll probably be back tomorrow!

Popping on by teacake.

Congratulations to Mr T for the 1000 miles. I hope his ass didn't suffer like mine does after 20 mins on a bike. Why?

I'll have a Yorkshire tea please. I'll come armed with an apricot and marzipan loaf to try and reduce the bother.

Missed thread 3 but have been thinking of you lots. I love the Cotswold Water Park. Glad you got a wee break. Shame about the tablets. But you drove there and back three times. grin You're epic.

Will be sending love and light the way of Brizzel and your way for Monday.

Was just wondering how you were doing. Thanks for update.

Hoping all remains positive and the radiotherapy does it's thing.

Tunnocks! How gorgeous to see you. I'm so pleased for your DH reaching his 1k goal and seriously impressed.

Can I contribute a fruit salad? A really lovely one with mango and berries and a dash of champagne? It's just that I'm desperately trying to watch the old waistline watch it? It's disappeared completely!!!

I hope DH is responding to treatment and I love hearing about your busy family life full of friends and loved ones.

Very happy birthday to DD x

I'm not sure whether to post this part or not... but I'm gambling on the fact that it might help to know that your awful nightmare has had one teeny, tiny, small good influence on a completely random stranger...

I quit smoking in June - for good I hope. The past 3 weeks have been a bit totally stressful for various reasons and at one point I was SORELY tempted to reach for a fag. And TBH one of the things that truly helped me was your beautifully written posts. I thought of you, and your wonderful DH, and felt humbled, and the craving passed. So a huge thank you. It really did help.

If I have miscalculated and this doesn't help at all and you are sitting there thinking "What an enormous wanker" please let me know and I will ask for this to be deleted.

Good to see the new thread and read about your functioning family. Bloody well done smile Just keep on going.

minmooch Wed 16-Oct-13 11:42:56

Hi Tunnocks good to see you sounding upbeat. Can I bring some apple and almond pudding cake to the table?

Glad to hear your DH has been out and about on his bike. Hope radiotherapy side effects are not too bad for him.

Keep strong and sending much love as always xxxx

magimedi Argentina Wed 16-Oct-13 12:34:44

I'm puting some cheese scones down on the table - good to have a savoury!

Lovely to hear from you - I think of you all every day.

ClockWatchingLady Wed 16-Oct-13 13:37:00

Hope today's going well, Tunnocks, and you're enjoying that amazing-sounding lemon cake.

Sorry for the poor wording in my previous message. Really pleased to hear about all the great things you've been doing. Thinking of you all today X

greenhill Wed 16-Oct-13 13:53:59

Glad to hear your DH managed the 1000k this year. That is seriously good.

I have tiramisu, but like the sound of all that cake, scones and Yorkshire brew

Happy birthday to your DD, hope you have a great birthday weekend before the radiotherapy starts flowers

tunnocksteacake Wed 16-Oct-13 17:59:00

I have just realised I am sometimes angry with DH for being ill. How horrid am I?

tunnocksteacake Wed 16-Oct-13 18:03:04

Also no apologies required for poor wording, I have realised how oversensitive I am at the moment. Fir example, I hate it when people speak as though they have written DH off, and I also hate it when they don't seem to realise how serious this is. No one can win with me. I got ratty on another thread earlier because someone actually said that the worst thing that could happen to her children was having to go to nursery. Ha ha ha ha ha (DD did some lovely painting at nursery today by the way, I am sure she had much more fun than she would gave had watching me crying in a National Trust property and then crying again during a pub lunch)

Lovely to see you Tunnocks and thanks for the cake!!
Have baked some shortbread biscuits so will share those round xx

Have thought of you and yours often, glad you are making the best of things in as much as you can.

You and the rest of the tea cakes sound fantastic x

Tunnocks - it's not horrid at all to feel angry with dh about this. It would be horrid to continually punish him for it or leave him because of it and we all know you aren't going to do those things. Anger is a normal reaction to a massive change imposed upon you. Most of the time you're probably angry with the tumour alone but after all it's located in his head. He's going to come in to a side swipe sometimes.
If we pinned him down and made him tell us we'd probably find he sometimes feels angry with you and with everybody who loves him because they don't have cancer. It's just a very hard thing to deal with and life is not a movie where people react in an airbrushed way. This is a tough time for both of you. It's also a hopeful time and a loving time and a time that I 100% believe you will both look back at in 20 years time and think 'how did we do that'. I DO know how serious this is but I am NOT writing him off. Can I win with you please? smile

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 16-Oct-13 18:26:56

You're not horrid Teacakes, just human. I think we naturally look to lay blame at someone's feet. But the important thing is you know that once the heat of the moment is over, you're being irrational and that you don't really mean it.

minmooch Wed 16-Oct-13 19:03:14

Oh Tunnocks you are only human, anger is justifiable. And yes you can be angry at your DH because you (and we) know how much you love your DH and it is anger at the cancer that is the real target.

I don't go out much these days or talk to people for the very same reason - no one can say anything right to me and I'm tired of pretending it's all ok. I hate protecting other people from the crass things they inadvertently say because I'm just so tired of it all. Tired of worry, tired of hospitals, tired of faking good humour, tired of seeing my poor DS so tired all the time. No one really understands and I get that too - but that makes me cross and tired too!

It's a looooong journey and it's a relief (to me anyway) to have this place where I can be honest and say it as it is. I don't need to protect my cyber friends here!

Fear, anger, worry, hope, excitement, desperation, numbness - I feel all of these probably at some point every day.

Big hugs.

tunnocksteacake Wed 16-Oct-13 22:03:56

thanks you lot.

And Northern yes, you win with me. 110%.

In other news, DS has taught DD to say 'Happy birthday poo bum' in a lovely loud clear voice in preparation for her second birthday on Sat hmm grin

ClockWatchingLady Thu 17-Oct-13 10:46:40

grin an excellent and very important lesson from a big brother.

As others have said (much more eloquently), Tunnocks, you feel what you feel. There is no wrong feeling, especially under circumstances like this.

Hope today is going well.

tunnocksteacake Thu 17-Oct-13 11:37:14

I was very moved to be nominated in the Christmas appeal by the way. Whoever you are, you are lovely xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now