Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you use hydrocortisone cream on your eyelids?

(14 Posts)
cocoleBOO Mon 07-Oct-13 11:38:03

I saw my dr today, I've hsavea slight rash on both eyelids and a droopy eye for a week. I'm being tested for Lupus by a rheumatologist and I think this rash is due to Lupus.
My dr told me it was excema and I don't have Lupus and" hes always right" hmm.

I took the prescripton anyway and the pharmacist was shocked that it was for my eyes. She said it was too strong (1%). I was told to use it 3 times a day. Also the prescription was for two large tubes, pharmacist said I shouldn't use it for more than 3 days.

The dr I saw wasn't who I was expecting to see, if I knew it was him I wouldn't have went. I'm can't speak to the other dr until tomorrow afternoon.

AutumnLeafMyArse Mon 07-Oct-13 11:42:49

I have excema on my eyelids when I was pregnant and I'm sure I was prescribed either 0.5% or 0.25%. 1% is definitely too strong.

cocoleBOO Mon 07-Oct-13 11:47:43

Thanks Autumn.

Aquelven Mon 07-Oct-13 13:20:25

My GP prescribed 1% for excema on my eyelids. He said just use a tiny bit twice a day. It was fine, I had no problem with it.

sonlypuppyfat Mon 07-Oct-13 13:22:05

I used it on my eyelids I didn't have to use much it soon cleared up.

Madlizzy Mon 07-Oct-13 13:25:36

Same as Aquelven. I used it for 5 days.

hmm. My concern would be the fact that in some people (me included) topical steroids can induce cataracts. I would be very wary.
You can buy weaker cortisone over the counter. I'd try the weakest strength you can get, in the tiniest amount you can, twice a day.

MrsHoratioNelson Mon 07-Oct-13 13:31:31

I have done so, but restrict yourself to using it for as little time as possible. As with all steroids, you shouldn't use it for extended periods anyway.

Southernlassy Mon 07-Oct-13 13:32:44

You cannot buy hydrocortisone over the counter at 0.5% strength. You can buy 1% and this is too strong for eyelids. 0.5% is only on prescription.

I had eczema for years and years. Using steroid cream on your eyes may cause lines and wrinkles- even 0.5% strength. If you use it, only use a TINY bit and for a few days only.

Do NOT tell the shop assts that you want to use it for your face ( if you are tempted to by E45 Hydrocortisone1% as they will not sell you it.

cocoleBOO Mon 07-Oct-13 13:46:18

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've used a tiny bit and I'll phone the dr tomortow to ask if its ok. I don't want to be using something that maybe I shouldn't be if it is the Lupus rash.

I had a similar rash last year, at the time we thought it was impetigo. It got close to my eyes and I was sent to A&E. They said it wasnt impetigo but gave me Fucidin cream anyway.

Southernlassy Mon 07-Oct-13 13:54:32

Be warned that many drs are not experts in dermatology- different drs will tell you different things. sad

If you keep getting it on your face then ask to see a dermo who can prescribe a non steroid cream only available from dermos as it's an immunosuppressant- it's safe and won't harm your skin but GPs cannot prescribe it.

cocoleBOO Mon 07-Oct-13 14:11:42

This Dr isn't an expert in anything unfortunately. I'm seeing the rheumatologist in a few weeks so I'll mention it then too. I have taken photos blush.

Pleaseputyourshoeson Mon 07-Oct-13 21:33:54

I used it on my eyes as they were itchy and inflamed like they had excema, I told my doctor who said not to unless it was the lowest strength ie 0.5 or lower and even then only sparingly for a couple of days. She said that the pressure in your eyes can change If u use it too strong too long

cocoleBOO Mon 07-Oct-13 22:01:06

Thats not good I have high pressure already.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now