Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Has anyone had cellulitis?

(10 Posts)

I went to bed Monday night with a weepy bit of eczema around my ankle and woke up yesterday morning with a swollen, red ankle that absolutely throbbed.
I went to the GP and got two lots of antibiotics ( amoxicillin and flucloxacillin) which I've been on for 24 hours and I was feeling quite a bit better in myself as yesterday I had a temperature of almost 40C and just slept and vomited.
But the red patch is spreading and has darkened in the centre and my leg feels very tight. I can just about hobble 50m without crying. My GP wouldn't see me as I'd been told to come back in 48 hours if the ABs hadn't worked, so I went to A&E who saw me quickly and changed my antibiotics to Augmentin. My temperature has since crept up to 38C which isn't high but it was 37C this morning.
I have something booked on Sunday where I'll need to do a lot of walking. If you've had cellulitis, how long did you take to get better?
Or am I dreaming to think my leg will be comfortable enough to walk on on Sunday?

MrsCliveStanden Wed 28-Aug-13 18:38:00

I had cellulitis in my hand. Took around a week to get better, couldn't really use my hand at all during that time. Hope you feel better soon.

SunnyIntervals Wed 28-Aug-13 18:39:05

I've had it - was v sore and I had to go to a & e as well - please don't hesitate to go back if it spreads further or your temp goes up.

tobiasfunke Wed 28-Aug-13 18:44:56

I had it on my toe. It took about a week and a half to get better. I had to go for a second dose of antibiotics. I was told not to walk around on it too much so I think if it's as bad as it sounds you are probably pushing it for Sunday. I do remember the antibiotics took 48 hours to really start working.

digerd Wed 28-Aug-13 19:33:55

I had it last year from an unknown insect bite on my ankle, which swelled up and spread up my leg to the knee.
I don't think I had a raised temperature but it itched like mad for a week. Wouldn't put me on the recommended ABs as were penicillin. Don't remember what they were called. All I remember was I didn't go dancing for 2 weeks as was waiting for insect bite site scab to fall off.
I also took antihistamine tablets as was an allergic reaction as well.

BitchyHen Wed 28-Aug-13 20:02:15

I wouldn't have thought you'd be well enough for Sunday to be honest.
I had cellulitis very severely in January and spent some time in hospital with IV antibiotics so do keep checking and go back to a and e if you don't see any improvement. Hope you feel better soon.

Fluffy101 Wed 28-Aug-13 20:33:43

I've had it on my leg and two years later still have the mark . Draw a line round the redness with biro so you can see if the infection is spreading

CMOTDibbler Wed 28-Aug-13 20:42:15

DH has had cellulitis 4 times now, and once on the right ABs it clears up in around 5 days. You do need to keep a close eye on it though and go straight back to A&E if it spreads further or you feel more generally unwell

Thanks everyone. I do think it's a little better today but do think you are right about me not being well enough for Sunday, so will postpone.

digerd Thu 29-Aug-13 11:15:07

It's not worth risking your health - wise choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now