Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cerazette been stopped by nhs, does anyone know why?

(11 Posts)
OhWhatAPalaver Fri 23-Aug-13 14:48:02

I received a letter today from my docs saying that as I have been taking Cerazette I will now need to take Cerelle instead. Apparently it is exactly the same as Cerazette, just a different mini pill. I've only been taking it for 4 months and not that impressed so far, near constant bleeding, so was thinking of coming off it anyway. Just wondering 'why the change?' iyswim. The letter was very vague.

CatFishBait Fri 23-Aug-13 14:55:18

I was reading a thread on here yesterday saying the same thing- I understand it's the cost, so they are changing to cheaper generics.

I was put on Cerazette a few months ago, after Femulen was discontinued and have turned into a fithy tempered food monster on it.

......and spotty sad

cerazette is more expensive so they are switching you to a cheaper alternative.

OhWhatAPalaver Fri 23-Aug-13 15:01:31

Ah I see, was hoping it was nothing sinister! Maybe this new one will be better...

bigbluebus Fri 23-Aug-13 16:28:50

I haven't been told anything by my GP surgery .....yet!
I know they are hot on cost cutting though, so will watch this space.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/1833468-Anyone-in-the-know-about-the-pill - this link shows a gp letter about the change to cerelle

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 23-Aug-13 19:20:22

Oh I hope this isn't the same for Scotland.

I'm on cerazette as it's the best pill for endometriosis, I'd be absolutely terrified about the prospect of changing to another potentially less effective brand, I have had my fill of searing pain and surgery thank you very much.

Does anyone know if its possible to pay to keep on cerazette - say by going through a private GP, online if possible?

Pinkspottyegg Tue 04-Feb-14 22:06:26

Well they have now changed in Scotland. I was on Cerazette for migraines and got switched to Cerelle. What a nightmare! Does this mean I cannot get it prescribed again because it is too expensive?

fairbalance Tue 04-Feb-14 22:14:27

I think you can buy the pill for Lloyds Pharmacy online

TalisaMaegyr Tue 04-Feb-14 22:18:34

They're both 75 microgram desogestrel - same thing. Only like Nurofen versus ibuprofen.

batteryhen Tue 04-Feb-14 22:22:51

Cerelle and Cerazette are exactly the same so you shouldn't notice any difference. It's just a cost thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now