Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Would you go to the GP with these headaches?

(49 Posts)
ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 11-Jul-13 11:09:34

I seem to have begun suffering with the worst headaches. They last over a week and regular painkillers don't even take the edge off.

The pain is always on the left side, above and behind my eye. Optician says eye is fine. The pain is so bad I can't even bend down because it feels like my head will explode.

It's always in the same place and always lasts for quite a long time. I'm so down because of it, I don't want to do anything with anyone it hurts so badly I just want to stay home and feel sorry for myself.

It's not a stabbing pain its more a really severe throb.

Would the GP laugh me out of the door for making an appointment because of a headache?

itsanewday Mon 15-Jul-13 09:03:53

Two thoughts from me as I have just had the same sort of thing recently. I also couldn't get relief from painkillers. I think it was sinus pain brought on by allergy. I'm not a hay fever sufferer but from time to time something gets me. With this unusual weather, I felt something did, as this pain came on suddenly after a walk in the woods. I took an antihistamine but it didn't help, although not repeatedly, but it didn't help. The thing that did the trick was liquid Sudafed.
Worth a try?

whatsleep Sat 13-Jul-13 18:39:36

If you start to feel worse do get yourself checked over, rest up and hope you feel better soon sad

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sat 13-Jul-13 18:18:50

No vomiting or increased sensitivity. it is purely this agonizing burning throbbing pain in one area of my head.

whatsleep Sat 13-Jul-13 18:07:18

It's seems you've been suffering for some time. Are you suffering with vomiting or sensitivity to light? My husband and a friend both had viral meningitis (not bacterial which is the dangerous strain) their symptoms were similar to that if a migraine and in my husbands case it took days for the doctor to diagnose him correctly . If you begin suffering with vomiting, or sensitivity to light please go and get reassessed. Please do not let my post cause you alarm, but it is worth bearing in mind that the symptoms are similar and easily missed.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sat 13-Jul-13 17:58:19

The Dr did ask about triggers but as this is only the second time it's happened I can't say I've noticed. The foods that are classed as triggers i dont really eat. i don't drink alcohol. i drink loads of water and eat regularly. im actually quite healthy.

so if i got some sumatriptan which is what i read about originally would it not work as im now on day ten?

BIWI Sat 13-Jul-13 17:53:50

Did your GP talk about triggers for migraine? These are often food-based - especially red wine, chocolate and cheese. Or, not eating can cause a migraine.

At the very first sign of a headache you must take whatever drugs you are using, as your system shuts down (as you've been told).

Drink lots of water.

Caffeine can sometimes help as well.

You have my every sympathy. I suffered from them in my first pregnancy, and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.

noddyholder Sat 13-Jul-13 17:42:59

My dp has been to the GP with exactly this and has been prescribed sumatripan Cluster headaches. He has to take one at teh first sign of the eye pain

RobotBananas Sat 13-Jul-13 17:41:52

Oh sorry, seen the migraine bit now

RobotBananas Sat 13-Jul-13 17:41:12

Have you been diagnosed with migraine though? Sorry if I missed that bit of the thead. Triptans won't work on a normal headache - they work in a different way.

Mind you, if they work you know its a migraine. You can only really take them at the onset of symptoms as well.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sat 13-Jul-13 16:41:49

thanks jasper that's helpful. if i get imigran tomorrow should i still take my ami tonight?

jasperc163 Sat 13-Jul-13 16:30:02

That seems a bit odd. Gp gave me codeine but be careful not to take it for more than a few days as it causes rebound headaches. Another option would be to go to chemist and ask for imigran. This is sumatriptan, the only Triptan sold OTC. it costs about £8 for 2 and that's all you should take but it might shift it. if it worked you could then ask gp re maxalt which is a better Triptan. you can only take about 3 a month.

you have to fill in a form for the imigran to say you have been diagnosed with migraine and don't have heart prob etc.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sat 13-Jul-13 15:38:02

Been exceptionally bad today and made OOH appt just to be told to stop the ami and take cocodamol as it's 'just a headache'. sad

No mention of triptans.

I'll keep on with the ami til Weds unless pain is unbearable again. my mum wanted to take me to A&E but i thought that was a bit drastic but wish id agreed now.

jasperc163 Sat 13-Jul-13 15:07:51

It is meant to take time to work ie weeks but I gave in and stopped after 2.5 weeks. I was told 20-30mg min needed, started on 10 then went up to 20, which I couldn't cope with.

Given that this is new for you , did gp not suggest triptans? normally they start with this and move to preventatives like ami if you are getting frequent migraines.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sat 13-Jul-13 12:48:23

Headache is back now.sad

10mg. I will try it a bit earlier tonight.

I'll stick it out for the weekend but if they keep making me so dopey I'll have to go back to the Dr.

jasperc163 Sat 13-Jul-13 11:10:16

no headache good news as it had no effect on mine. The drowsiness seems to be an issue for some and not others. It would be worth sticking it out and taking it earlier this eve if you aren't going out. What dose are you on?

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sat 13-Jul-13 09:04:11

awful!

i hardly slept at all but i was so drowsy i felt drunk. ds woke and i fell over on my way to get to him. my heart was banging and im still in bed now because my legs are like jelly.

no headache though.

ghosteditor Sat 13-Jul-13 08:02:44

How was your night coconuts?

ghosteditor Fri 12-Jul-13 20:19:12

I didn't have DC at the time - I imagine parent radar kicks in anyway!

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 12-Jul-13 20:15:53

oh shit. just taken one. hope ds sleeps through...

ghosteditor Fri 12-Jul-13 20:13:08

I wouldn't be able to take it with 18mo DD who still wakes in the night - I react really strongly and am completely out and find waking/getting up very difficult. But I did switch to a slightly different version after a few months, which I found less sleep-inducing.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 12-Jul-13 20:09:40

what dose were you on jasper? Dr said 30mins before bed. think might take it now... did it affect how well you heard the kids in the night? (if you have dc)

lissieloo Fri 12-Jul-13 20:09:03

I get these too, My longest spell was 2 weeks, 3 days off and another week. It was horrible. I take ami at night for neurological pain (something else), and it seems to have helped. I didn't make the connection before this thread.

jasperc163 Fri 12-Jul-13 20:02:25

Hi there
Very sorry to hear about the headaches:-( You've probably been told but I would suggest taking amitriptyline a couple of hours or more before you go to bed. I couldnt cope with it (was taking it at 7pm and still felt like a zombie the next day at noon) though I know many find it brilliant.

good luck
x

ghosteditor Fri 12-Jul-13 19:48:13

It helped a bit and stopped them lasting more than a few days!

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 12-Jul-13 19:08:10

did it work for you?

i have to make an appt in 4 weeks for a review.

thanks all thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now