Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Confused after GP visit

(30 Posts)
puffinnuffin Tue 09-Jul-13 10:48:37

I have just been to the GP about a breast lump I have had for 20 years. I think it has changed and is now painful if it is bumped. I can't sleep comfortably on that side. My Mum had breast cancer last year.

GP was very blank and non committal and just told me I needed to get it referred and checked at a breast clinic. She didn't tell me how to go about this or what would happen next. I have private health insurance. I don't know if I have to wait for a letter or phone someone or what. At this point she stood up and I was ushered out the door!

I have just got home and burst into tears and am now in a state. GP wasn't caring or friendly and I am now thinking maybe it is really awful.

Please can anyone advise me what is supposed to happen next?! Thanks.

jchocchip Tue 23-Jul-13 17:32:33

How did you get on puffin? Thinking of you..

jchocchip Sat 20-Jul-13 22:50:38

Yes well done puffin waiting for results is horrible but at least you are getting them on Tuesday and the early indications are good. My surgeon at the one stop clinic was pretty sure mine was cancer and told me to go home and have a stiff drink! +ve vibes for Tuesday. Let us know how you get on... fibroademas and cysts wouldn't need treatment I think. I had a lump removed in 2010 and treatment was straightforward. Support from the tamoxifen threads on here has been great too.

Well done puffin. Quite an examination then? Not too long for the results. Have you got anything nice and distracting to do this weekend?

puffinnuffin Fri 19-Jul-13 22:31:03

Thank you. Had mammogram, ultra sound and core biopsy done today. They think it is very likely to be fibrocystic changes (?) but wanted to do the core biopsy just in case. Results on Tuesday.

jchocchip Fri 19-Jul-13 08:29:10

All the best puffin

Good news puffin. Thinking of you today. x

Montybojangles Thu 18-Jul-13 22:14:59

Hope it all goes well puffin, thinking of you

puffinnuffin Thu 18-Jul-13 11:32:01

Finally received a phone call. Appointment booked for tomorrow- phew! Thanks everyone for your words of support and help.

puffinnuffin Mon 15-Jul-13 12:15:47

Thank you. I'm now regretting saying I had private health insurance. I really thought it would be faster. Still no letter in the post or anything- grrr.

Montybojangles Sun 14-Jul-13 00:13:17

Please don't panic. The breast clinic have to see you within 14 days. You may only get your appointment letter a couple of days before your appointment, but you will get it.

Stick to the nhs. You will get a full MOT, mammogram, review etc (ultrasound or needle biopsy if necessary) all sorted in one go. Private really isn't the way to go for this right now.

Hope it all goes well (the vast majority of lumps are perfectly normal).

Fragglewump Fri 12-Jul-13 19:42:38

I got my GPS surgery to fax the referral letter through to the private consultant. Saves waiting for the post!!

puffinnuffin Fri 12-Jul-13 18:52:13

Thank you all.
I still haven't had a referral letter/date through yet despite saying I could go through private health care.

I phoned the GP surgery and the letter was written on the same day I saw her. They said to phone the clinic directly if I hadn't heard anything by next Thursday. Is is normal to wait this long (it feels like ages!)?

Wolfiefan Wed 10-Jul-13 20:06:58

Hoping you get reassurance soon. Both DM and I have had lumps checked this year. All clear. Huge weight off my mind. I too had heard painful lumps aren't usually bad news. Fingers crossed.

puffinnuffin Wed 10-Jul-13 19:56:57

Thanks will do that first thing tomorrow.

Lovemynailstoday Wed 10-Jul-13 13:11:05

A private referral should come through very fast--it's all electronic now. I would call the gp surgery and check it's been done. The admin staff there will be able to tell you.

TheSmallPrint Wed 10-Jul-13 12:16:40

Hope it's nothing serious. smile

TheSmallPrint Wed 10-Jul-13 12:16:22

Normally you ring the insurance company and they give you a code for when you book your appointment at the local private hospital. My local BMI hospital would let you book before you got the letter and BUPA would always give the code without having seen a letter.

eurozammo Wed 10-Jul-13 12:14:07

The painfulness is actually a good sign. It's more likely to be an infected cyst than anything malignant (I've had one of these - owie!). It's definitely a good idea to get it checked out though.

puffinnuffin Wed 10-Jul-13 12:10:42

Yes I told the GP I had private health insurance and she said something about I need to get a code from somewhere?? No letter in the post today. How long does it take for a referral letter/appointment to come through?

Children break up from school on Friday-I hoped I could get seen before then if going private. DH is going away for work too. It's such rubbish timing. I wish I hadn't waited over a week to see a lady doctor now.

Lovemynailstoday Tue 09-Jul-13 17:50:36

Does your GP understand that you have private insurance? TBH you may well end up seeing the same doctor as most have clinics in both NHS and private. Hope you get info soon. I had a referral once for similar and it was all clear--just a funny bump. It's stressful, though, I know.

Good luck puffin. You are going to be seen, and hopefully the two weeks will go quite quickly. x

fedupandtired Tue 09-Jul-13 16:05:32

If you want a private referral you should mention it at your GP appointment and they'll do a referral letter straight away.

With suspected cancer though you'll get a referral within two weeks so there won't be a lot to be gained by going private. The NHS is pretty efficient with breast lumps I've found so personally you probably wouldn't gain much by going private.

Private hospitals are nicer though!

puffinnuffin Tue 09-Jul-13 12:17:47

Thank you all.

I have just phoned the private health insurance and have to wait for a referral letter and appointment from my GP. Apparently it doesn't speed the process up and you have to pay £150 excess. Maybe I should just stick with the NHS?

For some reason I thought you could just go to a clinic within a few days. I felt really silly as they asked me which hospital I wanted to go to. I don't have a clue as my brain is all over the place!

CMOTDibbler Tue 09-Jul-13 11:51:49

You can ring your health insurer and ask them who they cover in the area for a one stop breast assessment, but tbh, as your GP has to write a letter to refer you first, it prob won't be any quicker than the NHS service

mercibucket Tue 09-Jul-13 11:45:06

sorry to hear that puffin

what do your private health insurance say?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now