Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Colonoscopy due to blood in stool.. what else could it be?

(20 Posts)
MonParapluie Mon 08-Jul-13 09:25:38

My mum has been referred to the cancer clinic for a colonoscopy. It's not piles. I'm trying not to worry or panic.. what other diagnosis could be causing blood in stools and pain in abdomen?

MonParapluie Mon 08-Jul-13 11:34:18

hopeful bump

MustafaCake Mon 08-Jul-13 11:46:19

My mum had this (and was panicking as there is history of colon cancer in the family)

It was polyps (they were not cancerous and she had them removed).

Aunt also had the same and it was diverticulitis.

How worrying for you and your Mum and I hope she has good new at the clinic.

GemmaTeller Mon 08-Jul-13 11:47:41

I have this and was diagnosed with diverticular disease.

MonParapluie Mon 08-Jul-13 12:08:36

Thank you for replying, I am really trying not to worry. Very sorry to hear about your cases but also it is good to know there are other things that can cause the symptoms. Were you, and the people you know, also referred to the cancer clinic? It's whatever one means you have to be seen in two weeks..

Jestrin Mon 08-Jul-13 17:16:07

I had this and was diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis. Hope your mum is ok, OP

I was just referred to general colonoscopy clinic as there isn't a specific cancer one here, but the two week thing may just because they're working on reducing waiting times rather than anything to panic about smile I hope all goes well with your mum's tests

ajandjjmum Mon 08-Jul-13 17:40:38

My mum had this on a couple of occasions (about 15 years ago!). In the doctors waiting room she was virtually telling me who her jewellery was to go to!! grin It was fine - just one of those things, and she's been well since. Try not to worry, although I know it's easier said. She's doing the right thing by getting checked out.

MonParapluie Mon 08-Jul-13 18:13:23

Ok so it could be other things.. She has been referred under the two week urgent referral for suspected cancer sad I know there's no point worrying because if it is not cancer I will have worried for nothing. But I have that horrible knot of anxiousness in my stomach. I've been upbeat and casual about it outwardly though, being outwardly anxious won't help

GemmaTeller Mon 08-Jul-13 18:17:53

Yes, I was referred under the two week rule (twice)

first one was polyps (about four years ago)
second one was diverticular disease (about two months ago)

MonParapluie Tue 09-Jul-13 08:21:58

Thank you for telling me, I will let you know how it goes (she is going in next week)

Peachypossum Tue 09-Jul-13 21:28:24

I've had this, I had polyps but also have crohns. Hope your mum is ok.

My Dad has been told today he needs a colonoscopy so i know how you feel, hope all goes well with your mum xx

storytopper Greece Tue 09-Jul-13 21:47:08

Colleague had a referral and it turned out to be a bleed from a stomach ulcer.

storytopper Greece Tue 09-Jul-13 21:47:33

Hope your mum is OK.

Badvoc Tue 09-Jul-13 21:52:47

I had this and no cause was ever found.

expatinscotland Tue 09-Jul-13 21:53:58

Anal fissure, possibly.

noelstudios Tue 09-Jul-13 22:02:11

The drugs they give you for a colonoscopy are great - I have one every 18 months as I have a genetic mutation that gives a 60% lifetime chance of bowel cancer. If it is bad news, caught early, bowel cancer is one of the most curable cancers. Good luck to you and your mum and I hope it isn't cancer.

fishoutofchlorinatedwater Tue 09-Jul-13 22:24:12

I've had this twice. On neither occasion did the colonoscopy throw up anything untoward (despite significant, ongoing bouts of having blood in stools and major IBS type symptoms). Eventually the consultant advised cutting out wheat from my diet: I have had no digestive problems since I did this, so think it was all part of a wheat intolerance.

Tieni Tue 09-Jul-13 23:48:22

Ulcerative colitis for me and diverticular for my dad (who had been told by the GP it was cancer confused).

Good luck to your mum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now