Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Aching Hip

(8 Posts)
lsa2 Mon 11-Mar-13 13:11:02

I am 53 and going through the menopause and have had an ache in my left
hip for a few months which now more constant. I have done an
Advanced Search on here and on the internet about aching hips and it seems
it might be menopausal arthritis. I couldn't seem to find any mention of how
to relieve it and wondered if anyone had suffered similar and could give me any advice please? It has started interfering with my sleep and I don't want to take Ibruprofen every day if I can avoid it.

needtonamechangeforthis Mon 11-Mar-13 16:08:41

it could be any number of things... have you seen your GP?

snailsontour Mon 11-Mar-13 16:50:27

Yep, you do need to see your GP.
I have an achy left hip, it's on the outside and runs down the side of the leg. My GP diagnosed it as Bursitis, and yep, first line treatment is the good old anti-inflamatories!
I find the ache can be worst at night, and it can be very uncomfortable whilst trying to sleep.
But yes, it could be many things, so get yourself off to that GP!

lsa2 Mon 11-Mar-13 16:56:26

No it's quite hard to get an appointment and this didn't seem urgent enough, just a dull ache but is now affecting sleep a bit. I wouldn't normally self diagnose but my sister, who is 2 years older than me, has also been having an ache in her hip for quite a long while and when I read about menopausal women having this it seemed as if that is likely to be what I have.

lsa2 Mon 11-Mar-13 17:55:24

Thank you both for your replies, I will make an appointment with GP now. (Snails, I have had bursitis in my elbow previously so am wondering now if it could be flaring up at another site in my body. Hope you quickly get better)

BCBG Mon 11-Mar-13 18:01:36

Am peri-menopausal grin and had this in left buttock/hip but now have it in both....I read up on bursitis and it fits the symptoms but tbh I think its also because I have become fairly untoned so not sure the menopause is to blame. Interested in the idea of menopausal arthritis!

Sounds like bursitis to me - don't leave it as it can become absolute agony.

lsa2 Tue 12-Mar-13 17:29:04

Thanks for advice Frosty, and hope you soon feel better BCBG.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now