Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

migraines - possible way to fend off a severe bout

(5 Posts)
minecraftfansmum Thu 21-Feb-13 11:50:42

I suffer with migraines - had 4 years of at least 4 days every other month in severe agony, and many more days feeling lousy. I started taking aspirin with my prescription tablet, on a whim, and I am managing to fend them off and avoid that horrific sickness and intense pain.

I told my doctor and he has explained that the prescription tab is opening up something in my head and the aspirin is thinning the blood - incredible how effective this combination is in stopping those horrible severe attacks.

I still have to take the tablets, though, just wondering if anyone has any more advice?

tabbycat15 Thu 21-Feb-13 14:59:25

I'm glad to hear it's working for you. Migraines are awful. I get them occasionally. I had 1 bad one that lasted 5 days & it was the only time I vomited. I live in Australia & I had a job where I wasn't allowed to drink as I was on a make up counter. I got severely dehydrated & I was stressed at the time too. I found Motilium 10 helps with the nausea. I just find sleeping helps & a damp flannel on the forehead.

minecraftfansmum Thu 28-Feb-13 13:01:48

Thanks tabbycat - the flannel is a good idea, funnily enough my granddad used to put brown paper and vinegar on his forehead - that would make me more nauseous. Must have been terrible working on make-up with a migraine and the sensitivity to light and smells.

Ikeatears Thu 28-Feb-13 13:09:05

This may sound silly, but wasI was pregnant, a midwife recommended coca cola (full sugar) as soon as the aura started. It works to varying degrees but can sometimes stop the headache before it starts altogether! Worth a try!

annsdoodles Sat 02-Mar-13 13:32:05

Funnily enough, Ikeatears, I crave coca cola when I feel that aura, I wash down my aspirin and sumatriptan with cola! Before I started taking aspirin I'd sip coca cola to help with the nausea, must be the sugar - I normally drink diet cola occasionally when I'm well - has to be the 'full fat' coke when sick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now