Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

calcium supplement

(5 Posts)
Willowisp Sun 20-Jan-13 22:00:12

I have very bad pmt & took magnesium & also Angus castus. I've also got starflower oil, which I understand has a higher gla.

Unfortunately I never remember to take them.

Something you could try is 5 htp. Also available from H&B, it's a serotonin booster, which did work for me, taking 1-3 capsules each day.

mercibucket Sun 20-Jan-13 21:17:54

Have you googled the dangers of calcium supplements? I wouldn't rush to take them
Did you have blood tests done to check thyroid iron and hormones?

longingforsomesleep Sat 19-Jan-13 15:00:12

laurie - I'd be wary of taking calcium supplements yourself. I'm meant to take daily doses of calcium and vitamin D as I have a high risk of developing osteoporosis. The down side of taking the calcium supplement is it can cause hardening of the arteries. My GP agreed that I would have a blood test every 6 months to ensure my calcium levels weren't too high.

Personally, I can't see how calcium could help with pmt but I've no medical background so shouldn't really comment! Why don't you talk to your GP about it?

DoItToJulia Thu 17-Jan-13 20:15:54

My dsis used to really suffer. Iirc, she took a combo of evening prim and vit e to help. Not sure about calcium though.

Hope it helps!

lauriedriver Thu 17-Jan-13 17:21:29

I suffer with terrible pmt, terrible is probably the understatement of the century!!!

I'm hell to live with once a month, have awful moodswings & can't control my emotions.

I've been doing a bit of research & read that calcium supplements have been proven to help with bad pmt.

I'm running up to Holland & Barrett tomorrow to get some, anyone else tried this? Has it made a noticable difference to your mood?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now