Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

24 Hour urine sample to check my hormones, wish I'd asked what it is checking

(12 Posts)
HazeltheMcWitch Sun 25-Nov-12 10:24:57

Hah, good stuff. I am glad I got it right, as I have lots of experience in this area. Doing, not analysing! Hope it all goes well, and you get some info and treatment for whatever's making you feel unwell.

Marrow Sat 24-Nov-12 19:07:11

Catecholamines! Yes, that is what they were testing. Thank you Hazel, it's been irritating me that I couldn't remember!

HazeltheMcWitch Sat 24-Nov-12 00:43:27

oops, sorry, double posted there when MN went down for a sec...

HazeltheMcWitch Sat 24-Nov-12 00:43:04

They're probably checking your catecholamines - epinephrine, norepinephrine, metanephrine, and dopamine. The 1st 2 are also known as adrenaline and noradrenaline. They're hormones, and do things like regulate blood pressure and volume.

Nb think that's right, am not a medic but I have done many 24hr urine collections!

HazeltheMcWitch Sat 24-Nov-12 00:42:50

They're probably checking your catecholamines - epinephrine, norepinephrine, metanephrine, and dopamine. The 1st 2 are also known as adrenaline and noradrenaline. They're hormones, and do things like regulate blood pressure and volume.

Nb think that's right, am not a medic but I have done many 24hr urine collections!

Jollyb Fri 23-Nov-12 21:29:54

BTW - very unlikely that you have either of these before you google.

Jollyb Fri 23-Nov-12 21:27:06

Could be urinary 5-HIAA or VMA? Used to diagnose some very rare conditions that can cause palpitations and flushing.

freelancescientist Fri 23-Nov-12 21:14:15

Cortisol is a hormone.

myfavoritedayismonday Fri 23-Nov-12 15:18:01

Hi thanks, I don't think he is using it to check creatin levels, though I may be wrong, he said to check my hormones.

Willdoitinaminute Thu 22-Nov-12 23:00:00

I think it is to check creatinine levels generally done when you are being investigated for cardiac symptoms. It is a test done to look at kidney function which can cause an increased blood pressure. Please don't worry though because a whole range of tests are used by cardiologists diagnostically. They use the easiest & least invasive first to exclude the most common causes.
It's not the easiest test though because you have to cart around a large container & large jug everywhere in case you get caught short.

Marrow Thu 22-Nov-12 22:42:53

I've had a 48 hour urine test before also ordered by a cardiologist. It was a few years ago and I can't remember exactly what they were testing for I'm afraid. I know that as well as using it to check kidney function they were testing creatinine levels and cortisol levels.

Will come back to thread if I get a brainwave and remember exactly what the tests were. I do remember feeling rather embarrassed plonking two big containers of wee down on the path lab reception desk though!

myfavoritedayismonday Thu 22-Nov-12 21:26:21

Hi, I saw a cardiologist today about my dizzy spells and lightheadedness and fluctuating heart rate. He suggested I have a 24 hour urine sample done to check my hormones. I wish I'd asked what exactly it will check. Anyone got any thoughts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now