Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

**Tamoxifen** the 30th thread !

(997 Posts)

Am wheeling the trolley over....

smee Thu 22-Nov-12 20:48:09

Wow, MAS you are clever. I seriously think you deserve a medal. At the very least a trolley load of your favourite fbs. grin

Waving back to Gracie. How's the skin today? smile

Gigondas Thu 22-Nov-12 20:52:06

I feel like I have been done as haven't had a bone scan wink.

Have found a seriously scary good physio that has sarcoma experience and was very positive about how could help me not only rehabilitate but get fitter which am happy about. First appt on Monday afternoon.

grin at teenagers copthall - I think latest dss has managed was 4pm. Also if my Sherlock suspicions are right I think your dd may have been at school with dsd.

Right back to I am a celeb- going to crack open the painkillers as cramp in leg was more responsible for my bad nights sleep than mini gig which is saying something.

Very windy , wet and cold here .

Copthallresident Fri 23-Nov-12 00:20:03

gigs I did think I should add that older daughter does get me up at 4am, checking she is home, and then lying awake waiting for her to get home...... usually followed by no signs of life until late afternoon and an entire day in pyjamas.... At least she is not at one of those sloaney unis where they go to lectures in pyjamas, she tells me her flatmates have confiscated the fleecey Tesco ones!

I did say way back when that I love Physios! They always come in and do lovely positive things, after the surgeons etc. have messed you up.

Oh No blush outed? 20? that school built in the style of a 30s Gaumont cinema? Was the giveaway that it did actually say of my daughter on the page "Most likely to be" in the leavers book "an evil genius" hmm Thankfully she has to do ethics on her course...... 17 (TODAY!) yr old was there too but escaped for sixth form, quite a few escapees. It was an interesting year hmm, hence comment to Ned that I had reassured her she was unlikely to encounter a peer group like that unless she ended up in a woman's prison, or Ned's choir apparently, although DD's peers NEVER apologised unless forced to by Deputy Head on first morning of suspension, as condition of return (but then we don't know what prompted the apology to Ned!!)

herrena depends on the hospital I'm afraid. They can keep you waiting three weeks where I was treated and no one would tell you anything until your appointment with the Consultant so you were left reading the worst into the tone of people's voices and every look and gesture. It's a while ago now but the most significant scan was the PET scan, that was when I found out the b****r had colonised my lymph nodes, then there was an MRI and a bone scan for metsythingys (beyond my spelling!).

Loverly evening, hic, battled through the wind and rain to China Tang at the Dorchester, a little outpost of Hong Kong, for daughter's seventeenth, the Jasmine Martinis especially loverly, hic. Sounds really posh but actually there were toddlers running wild, loads of groups of MALE angry middle/senior managers bonding, rude tourists, and some posh people taking their teens for posh afternoon tea (exeat weekend?) I would say the Dorchester isn't what it used to be but I have no idea what it used to be, and everyone else probably thought our giggling, and bedraggled hairdos, seriously lowered the tone! But Topsy I may need emergency supplies of fizzy drinks in the morning, especially when I have to get up at 7am .......

happy birthday to dd copthall - sounds as though you had a lovely evening- never been to the Dorchester smile
Hope you feel tip top this morning grin
Am a bit surprised to have finished the book- the end bit accelerated because of not needing to do quite as many as planned. Now have to scan a selection for my records.
Hospital today to see onc,so am up and about a bit earlier.
Have a good day all xxx

Copthallresident Fri 23-Nov-12 08:00:27

MAS Morning and thanks! Feeling surprisingly OK this morning but been on tip toes as daughter very grumpy grin. I hope the session with the oncy goes well and the next dose of poison is reduced. Have you more work lined up?

topsyturner Fri 23-Nov-12 09:09:05

<passes Copthall a can of her finest full sugar Coca Cola>

Mas good luck with the Onc today .

How's everyone else ?
I have got DD back to school today after her turn with the tummy bug .
DS is still off .
Am hoping that this is the end of it .
We are running out of loo roll ... grin

Gigondas Fri 23-Nov-12 09:29:03

Yes sounds same but does sound like dd2 unlucky (girls can be horrid). Maybe you are still drunk wink?

topsy glad dd better- big gig Sent off to school today. There was a lot of sulking and some tears at breakfast but was fine when she got there. Which leaves me to--mumsnet and drink coffee-- sort out stuff to eBay and try to clear things out before Xmas . Off for lunch with friend later after therapy.

mas hope onc visit helpful especially about sore hands as that can't carry on like that.

Gigondas Fri 23-Nov-12 09:29:18

turning how is dh?

hope Mr turning is doing well- waves to all- have a nice lunch gig
I guess i'll have to mention diarrhoea to onc - oh how I hate bottom things - I like to pretend that i don't do all that kind of stuff
I have a picture to do for someone for a Christmas present but nothing else yet- will do some bits and pieces and maybe scout around for some work. We're doing a promotional book for my agent (for us all in the agency) which is nice- have done my artwork-will be a limited edition for best clients and a copy for each of us.
Righto, must get ready to go to hosp.

Gigondas Fri 23-Nov-12 09:53:53

Do mention it (and second my advice on aloe Vera)- I mentioned some tmi stuff to my nurse which was blush and they didn't bat an eyelash as have seen it before. Chemo notorious for messing up your insides.

I will message you as have an Xmas commission and I know dh has something he wants you to do for the new year mas.

Copthallresident Fri 23-Nov-12 13:18:57

gigs If I am then I may have made some interesting progress with my thesis hmm I do hope I don't have to rewrite it all next week! (which I will anyway, and the week after and the week after that). Perhaps I should go attack the leaves in the garden, suitable drunken activity!!

It was very different to DD1s year but these rogue years come along ever more often apparently. It is the extreme attention seeking as well as alpha bitchiness. DD2 says she actually misses all the scandal, so do big sis and I if we are honest, but not the fact that the alpha bitches have colonised one end of the L6 Common Room and play loud music, and if anyone sits in their chairs or asks them to turn it down, they hiss "snake" at them. shock

MAS Friends and I always thought there were similarities between pregnancy and chemo, and complete loss of dignity and the normal functioning of your nether regions was part of that, as gigs says they are very definitely used to it.

Topsy Aaaah fat coke grin

I was asked about bottomly things so did say -I am useless at anything like that-ridiculous i know. Have been given 20% less medication and lots of pyridoxine for hands and dom perignon (I wish) and told to buy Aveeno cream and if it works then my GP should be able to prescribe it.
Feeling a bit lost and down though- everything seems relentless. asked about when scan will be and nice lady onc said probably after Christmas - bcn agreed as she says there may not be much change yet and that could be upsetting. Which seems sensible I think.

sorry- self indulgent post - hope everyone is fine and dandy- how was lunch gig ?

meant to say- have bought T one of those lucky waving Chinese cats for his stocking- have wanted one for ages (me, though he will like it !) and my seasonal favourite some Lush snowcake soap...

Copthallresident Fri 23-Nov-12 16:48:11

MAS It is only natural to feel lost and down, and visits to the oncy usually have that effect, you find ways to cope, and then they bring you back to reality. And you have just got through a rough dose of poison, 20% less sounds as if they think it was really rough, thank goodness it is reduced. I was reading something about chemo brain and it said they now realise the chemo messes with the chemical balance in your brain, so there is actually a physiological reason why you feel down too, not that there isn't plenty else to be fed up about.

smile at lucky waving chinese cat, as you can imagine chez Copthall is filled with all manner of lucky things (and a few unlucky things too probably, I bought my cousin an "antique" Chinese box for a wedding present but then realised that pages of the fortune telling almanac that lined it were full of the characters for rape and bottomy things (blush sorry, and please don't ask why I would know those characters ) so that didn't seem like such a good idea [mm])

Copthallresident Fri 23-Nov-12 16:48:32

hmm I meant

aw,thanks copthall - that sounds a reasonable explanation and makes me feel less mis. grin @ chinese bottomy symbols. I used to be able to play Mah Jong and loved all those symbols :-)

smee Fri 23-Nov-12 18:07:47

MAS, I'd say you're bound to feel a bit lost. It must seem never ending and it's grim to have more ahead and no definites. I've heard good things about Aveeno and that might make a massive difference next time round. Chinese cat sounds great. smile

Waving to all. It's Friday. smile smile

you are right there smee
Chinese cat is solar powered !cI want to take it out of it's box and play with it !

Gigondas Fri 23-Nov-12 19:25:27

mas copthall speaks sense about oncology visits and chemo come down so do whatever you can to help yourself. I love the sound of the cat as have long hankered after one for myself. Lunch was lovely - dim sum grin

copthall think you were in hk ? Dh was too- do you share his hatred of dragon dancing as he said he was forced to watch it too often. Hope you got some thesis written.

Waiting for take away now- not my healthiest day wink.

Gigondas Fri 23-Nov-12 19:25:53

Waves to smee

Birdland Fri 23-Nov-12 20:12:25

Mas- as someone going through chemo myself I truly sympathise.
It does seems relentless and the side effects are not nice-I too have been struggling with both 'bottomy things' and gum abcesses. And don't get me started on chemo brain and steroid mania!!

Maybe a 20 percent reduction will do the trick for you fingers crossed. You will get through it. Aveeno very good-I think they use oats in it which are v soothing.

I had a meeting with my surgeon yesterday-its definitely a mastectomy for me and an implant as I have not enough meat on me for an alternative. I'm not too worried as I was thinking of a mastectomy anyway.
I'm having a strattice reconstruction which uses pigskin as a 'hammock' to hold the implant.

Has anyone heard of this-apparently its not too commonly used.

Hello to everyone else x

thanks for comforting words smile
Pigskin birdland ? think it is close to human skin possibly ? Am glad you have a decision as it must be unsettling not knowing which op to have.
Just back from parents where I had gin and tonic which was very restoring grin

Birdland Fri 23-Nov-12 20:32:36

Yes mas-apparently v much like human skin and the 'hammock' means theres a natural swing n droop (!) which you don't get with traditional implants.

amberlight Fri 23-Nov-12 20:38:22

Hugs all round. Tummy much better, which is good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now