Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Who here actually does pelvic floor exercises??

(179 Posts)

And how do you remind yourself?
I've just started gone back to exercise in general and got a bit of a shock when a little bit of wee came out when I ran blush.
I was so paranoid I hardly moved the rest of the session.
I know I need to do them, surely I can't be the only one who does 2 squeezes then starts making a shopping list in my head?
Come on, spill not wee

nankypeevy Thu 23-Aug-12 12:19:38

I'm a physio - and I think part of the problem is they way we teach the exercises.

They are a bit random - it's easy to strengthen your arm because you can SEE it move, but your PF? How do you know you are doing it right?

I am fairly frank when yakking on about them. You want to ever have an orgasm again? Do your blardy pelvic floor exercises.

In the interests of full and frank disclosure - you need to be sure you are actually contracting your muscles. If you are bobbing up and down when you do them - that's not it, that's your butt. If you are squinting your eyes and tilting your head and holding your breath when you do them? Not sure what's going on, but it's doubtful that you are doing your PF very well...

If you're not sure... the easiest way to check whether you are doing them right is to bung something in there - your finger, a tampon, a bit of someone else's anatomy, doesn't matter. And, squeeze it. You'll get a bit of feedback on what the sensation is like. Remember that sensation (well, depending on what you are squeezing) and then try to replicate it with an empty fanjo.

Squeeze and hold for ten secs.

Ten quick flicks.

Then, imagine that your fanjo is a lift/elevator. Squeeze, and lift it to first floor, second floor, third floor - and then back down.

Repeat.

And, repeat.

And, repeat.

You can get strength training devices from Boots (othe chemists are available) They look like little tampons, but are weights that you insert and do your exercises with. Use tehm when you are doing the hoovering/walking up and down stairs or whatever too, for strength training. They are really good - but they only work if you actually USE them, and, Top Tip - make sure you can competently hold the thing in if you go out...

...I once saw one rolling in the cereal aisle of Sainsbos.

Oops.

Wisnae mine, I hasten to add.

Anyhoo - the point is that, apart from not pishing yourself every time you laugh, and not having to "plan" your shopping trips to include shops with toilets, and not having low back pain and a fanny like a bucket - you'll have more orgasms with less effort.

You doing them now?

Course you are.

holler Thu 23-Aug-12 12:25:18

I think I love you nanky.

squoosh Thu 23-Aug-12 12:27:43

Oh nanky the poor woman who dropped her fanny weights in Sainsbury's! Probably not the kind of thing you pick back up and re-insert.

toodles Thu 23-Aug-12 12:34:44

I bought the Mutu system but haven't started yet. Looks like a good program if only I put in the time to do it.

MUTU SYSTEM

albertswearengen Thu 23-Aug-12 12:37:02

I was doing mine quite a lot after a forceps but only really found them very useful after I started doing the elevator ones that nankypeevy describes.

nankypeevy Thu 23-Aug-12 12:54:51

They are boring exercises, and they are The Last Thing you want to do when you are running around after kids.

We used to give out red dots for people to stick around the house - every time you saw a red dot, do them.

I think you could set your phone to beep every hour or so nowadays instead. Something subtle - wouldn't recommend "cry me a river" ha ha aha ha.

The different exercises are to strengthen the different types of contraction your pf needs to do:

the hold for ten secs is for strength - so you can hang on long enough to actually unlock the door and not pish yourself on your doorstep.

The ten quick flicks are so it will contract when you cough/laugh/sneeze

The lift one is actually a mystery to me. I can't think of a functional reason for needing to provide a lift in my fanny.

No, am joking, it's a just a strength progression thing, but I am always amazed than no one ever says "imagine my WHAT's a WHAT"? Everyone always nods as if it's a perfectly normal thing to visualise.

Tell you what though. 40% of women over 40 have stress incontinence. FORTY PER CENT.

All those women, putting up with it. For the sake of doing the blardy exercises. And, a wee bitty embarrassment in telling their GP.

Bloody tragic. Half your school gate are too embarrassed to get help, they just limit their activities and buy extra perfume incase they are reeking of pee.

Oh, be careful you don't trip on my soapbox there. Makes me cross. Don't put up with it. It's easily fixed in most cases, with surprisingly little effort.

Oooh, maybe we should do a mumsnet academy thingie? Pishy Pals Anonymous?

nankypeevy Thu 23-Aug-12 12:55:07

Holler - blush x

holler Thu 23-Aug-12 12:59:17

Do we get a Trampolining Certificate at the end of it?

And, ahem, serious question, can you use Aquaflex toners when pg? MW says she thinks so, packaging says no.

WoodlandHills Thu 23-Aug-12 13:02:36

Sometimes when I do them it makes me a bit horny blush

Is it just me, or does that happen to anyone else.....?

Cremolavelodrome Thu 23-Aug-12 13:03:03

Nancky - you've made my day.
Rofl at little elevatorgringringrin

nankypeevy Thu 23-Aug-12 13:06:37

The company will say no incase you try to sue them when your bump's too big and you can't reach to get them out.

There's also the risk of causing a urinary tract infection - if you get thrush in pregnancy and you are rummaging around in there trying to fit the things, then there's a small UTI risk.

And, I'd question what the point is - your PF is already being loaded by the baby and all the gubbings like the fluid and the placenta, so, you could argue it's being strengthened all the time and what difference would another half a pound make?

But, you could use them. I wouldn't bother though, i'd just do the exercises without them. It's hard to look elegant fishing them out when you can't see what you are doing.

nankypeevy Thu 23-Aug-12 13:09:11

Trampolining. That's like the Black Belt of pelvic floor progression.

Even I, with a fanjo of steel after three giant babies, have to concentrate slightly when on a trampoline.

Yes, you can have a certificate. Or, maybe a tattoo like the olympic athletes all treat themselves to? ha ha, instead of five olympic rings we'd have one steel one. Naice.

holler Thu 23-Aug-12 13:15:48

True. That explains why I'm suddenly scared of sneezing (giant baby brewing) - wasn't a problem before about 15 weeks. Will leave the aquaflexing as a postnatal treat, and just keep Lifting until then.

nankypeevy Thu 23-Aug-12 13:21:57

Yep, don't do too much midstream stopping - when you stop peeing half way through? That can cause UTI's too, just once a week is enough after the baby's born. Don't do it now, you'll only depress yourself.

And, leave off trampolining for the next 25 weeks or so.

Congrats! Hope you are blessed with a small headed baby. x

HappySeven Thu 23-Aug-12 13:29:07

Hanky, it's not fair to strain our pelvic floors even more by making us laugh about lifts. (but thank you!)

HappySeven Thu 23-Aug-12 13:29:41

Hanky?!? Stupid iPad. Stupid woman using it.

nankypeevy Thu 23-Aug-12 13:38:58

Woodland - missed that wee gem post of yours!

nope, quite the point normal.

An orgasm is partly a contraction of the PF and partly thinking about Alan Rickman So, if you contract the muscles voluntarily, you might get a bit of a glow.

Have you heard of muscle memory?

To my knowledge, there's not been any research on muscle memory and orgasm - but, your fanjo's full of muscle that works the same as those in your leg, so it makes sense.

In which case, the more orgasms you have...

WoodlandHills Thu 23-Aug-12 13:43:23

Glad to hear its normal

Also, while we're on the subject of TMI things, sometimes when I am, erm, receiving oral I clench them as it seems to erm, speed things up for me a bit blush

nankypeevy Thu 23-Aug-12 13:45:52

Yeah?

I'd stop that, Woodland.

Speed it up? Try slowing it down and thinking of Alan Rickman at the same time. Smashing.

WoodlandHills Thu 23-Aug-12 13:49:05

blush but if i don't do it, I take ages, honestly, hours sad

maybe its dh technique

As for Alan Rickman, just, No hes old enough to be my grandad

Can't believe I am admitting these things seeing as I now have many mn friends on my FB

nankypeevy Thu 23-Aug-12 13:52:19

I know quite a lot about the tempero-mandibular joint too - incase your DH has a sore jaw.

Truly Madly Deeply...phwaaooor

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Thu 23-Aug-12 13:57:04

Nanky, you are divine! Thanks for the heads up about not too much mid-stream stopping. Must remember to pass that on to the DDs, have drummed it into them from a very early age and they're now in their mid 20s.

hugandroll Thu 23-Aug-12 14:22:33

My ds2 is 16 weeks and I've been exercising the past month but always neglect my pelvic floor. Ive leaked a few times when doing jumping squats amongst other things, will be adding a reminder now to do them.

nankypeevy Thu 23-Aug-12 14:31:20

Bewitched - they used to use a MSS a strengthening exercise, but have changed their minds. It's now an assessment tool - you can get some nasty backflow of urine if you do it too often which can do funny things to your kidneys.

Hug - that's the way!

DilysPrice Thu 23-Aug-12 14:42:32

MN needs to insert a rolling thread in Active Convos labelled "KEGEL" so that every time we see it we can do a few reps.

Not stickied, because you stop seeing stickies after a while, and with a regularly changing name so you don't get immune to seeing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now