Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Contraceptive Implant - Very painful. Is this normal?

(13 Posts)
BethLouisee1994 Tue 22-Jan-13 21:24:30

I am 18 and in the exact same situation, except I've only had mine fitted a day! I admit that I have a low pain threshold and almost cried with the local anaesthetic. But my arm bruised and swelled really badly within an hour of having it done and it has had me in complete agony. I can't move my arm much without feeling like the implant is stabbing through my skin and the swelling is terrible. I'm having a lot of trouble sleeping too with it hurting whenever I move.

Also, the nurse never put any sort of arm-covering bandage on it, just two thin plaster tapes and a slightly larger plaster over the top of them. My clothes were irritating the plasters so I applied a bandage myself and the pain eased a little but still it returns when I move my arm.

Was applying a bandage the right thing to do with not already having one supplied by the nurse? Will it improve the bruising and swelling? How long will the pain last for?

Any advice will do. I've only had it fitted a day and already I'm tired of all of the problems its causing. Please help?

Samantha7726 Fri 18-Jan-13 19:59:43

Hi I know this is an old thread but I can't find any other advice, I'm having the exact same pain and can't lift my arm very high, I've been to a & e and they have told me its the end of the implant scraping on the insertion site, I just wanted to know how long your pain lasted? I'm on my third day now and can't stand it.

cheepcheepchoconora Sat 07-May-11 21:06:03

perfect smile

PavlovtheCat Sat 07-May-11 20:44:02

oh yes I like that too, the whole cyber woman thing, it is great to see peoples faces when I show them it, my friends are all a bit bothered by it i think!

Last time i had it, I had NO periods for two years, had it taken out to try for DC2 conceived 4 weeks later. Lovely!

cheepcheepchoconora Sat 07-May-11 20:42:34

nope - been in 2 months and as far as I am aware not pregnant grin also only had 3 days of spotting the whole time... I heart my implant wink

I also LOVE freaking DH out by fiddling until you can see the outline- he thinks I have a mini alien or something in there I think grin

PavlovtheCat Sat 07-May-11 20:21:00

cheepcheep well, i have been poking it a bit, but only to see if that makes it hurt more (it does!) it was already hurting before that, as soon as I took the bandage off it was like it had been holding it all in...but I have now stopped poking it. It smarts, yes. Glad to hear it stopped hurting after 5 days. And I take it you are not pregnant? !

cheepcheepchoconora Sat 07-May-11 20:15:54

I had nexplanon put in 2 months ago... I managed to feel a stingy type sensation - every time I poked it to see how it was healing! grin also at the insertion end... have you been endlessly poking it like me perchance? if its any help I stopped feeling it at all about 5 days after insertion? or sooner if I stopped poking of course wink

PavlovtheCat Sat 07-May-11 20:09:57

pain has eased a bit, now just smarts from time to time if i 'stretch' the arm in the wrong way. But it clearly is closer to the surface on one end of the implant than the other. I dont think it is infected, the pain is more localised in the place it digs on (or out!), my arm is however black, blue, purple and now a little yellow! (a good sign yes?!).

I shall give it til monday and then get it checked just to be sure, would rather not get pregnant seeing as that is the reason for being on it! I now feel a little nervous about it now, so til i talk to nurse DH is on bread and water! (wink he is already for a few days!)

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Sat 07-May-11 17:56:42

It shouldn't be that painful. It sounds both badly inserted and possibly infected..

PavlovtheCat Sat 07-May-11 13:07:22

nexplanon, thats the one (nothing like what I remembered!).

The pain is localised, in fact it is right where on end is 'digging in'. I will give it til monday i guess, unless it becomes horrendously painful before then, and go back to see same person to check it. Or else it would have to be a trip to A&E wont it? and they will just remove it as they won't know a thing about it, i am sure.

Thanks for replying, as I said, like you I don't recall it being anything other than a bit tender for a couple of days last time.

lubeybooby Sat 07-May-11 12:48:10

I had nexplanon a few weeks ago (the one rod matchstick thing)

I had bruising but just where blood leaked under the skin from insertion, not from skin trauma if you see what I mean. I didn't have any swelling but I was told to keep a tubigrip type bandage and the dressing on it for a few days.

Anyway I didn't have any pain so I think yours needs looking at

PavlovtheCat Sat 07-May-11 12:41:08

grin <whistles>

PavlovtheCat Sat 07-May-11 09:45:14

I can't find a topic on contraception so apologies if not in the right place ladies.

I have had implanon before, no problems. Can't remember whether it hurt or not but no recollection of anything significant.

On thursday I had the contraceptive implant put in, not implanon, the other one (can't remember then name offhand 'fluxo something?'). It went in fine, the nurse said I would bruise, and once it was done she said she could see that I was starting to bruise already, likely be quite a nasty bruised area, so expected some swelling. I know the first time it bruised much less than I thought.

The implant is quite near the surface. Mostly, this does not surprise me, I know it can be felt and if i flexed my arm the first time i had it, i could could just see the outline of it.

However, at the end of the implant nearest the insertion site, it stings, like it is digging into the skin, it hurts/stings to move my arm much, unless the bandage is on, then for some reason it does not hurt as much but still smarts. Arm is quite swollen around the area of insertion. I expected this to have reduced a little by now.

But what bothers me the most is that as well as it being very painful, the end of the implant is sticking out quite a lot, it seems like it is trying to push itself back out of the skin, but obviously not able to do so as missing the insertion site.

Is this normal? I am sure this did not happen before, does it just need some time to settle down, wait for swelling to go down, or should it not be trying to poke back out through the skin. Bit worried it was not put in correctly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now