Help please for techno-dunce! My home page has gone funny and I have to access Mumsnet and e-mail through history... can anyone advise please?

(5 Posts)
Sequentialchoring Tue 09-Aug-16 09:24:43

Sorry to ask here on Mumsnet but can't seem to get back to ordinary Firefox!

The problem is that I downloaded VideoConvert on to my computer yesterday in an attempt to live stream an Olympic equestrian event unavailable on the BBC (I live in continental Europe).

The problem is VideoConvert has now taken over my home page and I can't seem to get back to my usual Firefox + e-mail (and have had to access them by going through my history this morning).

Please can anyone help? VideoConvert just won't leave somehow!

Sequentialchoring Tue 09-Aug-16 11:17:31

Anyone?

WitchTyler Wed 10-Aug-16 04:44:23

Open your usual Firefox home page(s), ensuring no other pages are open, including the VideoConvert one. Go to Tools->Options, then on the General page, in the Startup section, click on the "Use Current Pages" button. The Home Page box should now show the correct page(s).

prh47bridge Wed 10-Aug-16 08:20:14

I'm afraid it may not be as simple as WitchTyler says. If this is Pronto VideoConvertor I'm afraid it is malware which displays advertising banners and may install other unwanted software. Simply resetting your home page won't stop it. There are removal instructions here.

Sequentialchoring Wed 10-Aug-16 08:57:30

Thank you both! I really appreciate your help!

Happy to report that I followed WitchTaylor's advice this morning and it worked and everything is working properly now!

Am a bit blush that is was so easy tbh!

And thanks, yes, prh47 I will be much more careful in future! (Removal technique noted just in case though!)

Thanks again both!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now