Which smart phone for 11 year old?

(54 Posts)
Euphemia France Fri 03-May-13 23:01:50

I'm confused by the data usage limits - do they still apply if it's mostly being used on our home WiFi?

I'm pondering:

iPhone 5
Blackberry Curve
Samsung Galaxy Mini

tribpot Fri 03-May-13 23:05:14

No, data usage relates to use whilst out of the house on 3G or 4G.

Does your 11 year old have a view? The yoof do love their blackberries. Of the three I would probably go for the Samsung, although if you are an Apple household it will be easier to have compatibility with the iPhone.

Alternatively a cheapy mobile for actual calls and something like an iPod touch for gaming and chatting and stuff?

Euphemia France Fri 03-May-13 23:10:29

She has an iPod touch and a so embarrassing, Mum cheapo phone for taking to the park, etc.

She mostly fancies the Samsung Galaxy, and I like the size of the mini one.

DH and I have iPhones and an iPad.

MillyMoo1113 Fri 03-May-13 23:11:32

Just got ds(11) a Samsung galaxy ace. He's had it about a month and he seems to use it easily enough, has apps similar to his iPod, music on. He has 500mb data a month, unlimited texts and 100 mins - data does only get used if he's on 3G and watching something on YouTube yesterday used up his months allowance! So now he can only use it in house til next billing date.

It's a good phone tho, and a cheaper deal than an iPhone. Depends what she'll want to use it for, or rather what you want her to use it for!

Hulababy Fri 03-May-13 23:12:03

DD got an iPhone 4S for her 11th birthday last month. It was a bit of a double up for us as we wanted her to have a phone ready for secondary school, and because she started walking home from school just after her birthday too. But also because her iTouch was way out of date and could do with updating.

I went for the iPhone as we have a fair few Apple stuff already, all our music is on iTunes, we already have apps and films via iTunes too, etc. And I have an iPhone as well.

DD loves it as she can iMessage and Facetime many of her friends who have either the phone, an iTouch or an Apple computer.

As with all smartphones she has access to her emails, etc too.

Hulababy Fri 03-May-13 23:13:12

DD's contract is about £25 a month. She has unlimited data and unlimited tests (plus iMessage which is free too) and about 600 minutes iirr.

MillyMoo1113 Fri 03-May-13 23:15:42

Sorry, just seen your last post - iPhone probably most compatible if you have apple products already - but if her music on itunes on ipad and She wants music on a Samsung you cam create a separate playlist in iTunes

Startail Fri 03-May-13 23:15:57

DD1 has an ace too and seems like it, it's on £13 a month contract. She has a few bits on it, but mostly uses her iPod touch for games and things because that's on my iTunes and kindle accounts and has loads of games, music and especially books. Very long bus ride books and music are essential

tribpot Fri 03-May-13 23:16:09

Yep Hula and there's plenty of cross-platform chat apps so she isn't forced to shun her non-Apple friends - Whatsapp and so on. Skype as well as Facetime, etc. My fave is Voxer.

If she already has iTunes content you may be better off biting the bullet and going for the iPhone, although now that I am welded to iTunes myself I wonder if it might be better to break the habit sooner rather than later if you can smile

miggy Fri 03-May-13 23:19:47

No so much phone but if new contract, tesco mobile contracts are capped so child can't run up a bill bigger than monthly plan.
Dd has iPhone and loves it, I am very jealous but she had it for her 14th birthday.
Would have thought 11 bit young for such an expensive phone but you know your own child and how responsible they are, ds at 16 I personally wouldn't trust with one ;)

MillyMoo1113 Fri 03-May-13 23:23:38

I think how much you want to spend will play a part in your choice. For the deal I mentioned about we pay £10 a month, but that was my limit roughly for what I wanted to pay and I got a good deal on it as an additional line on my account. Which helps as I can track how he's using it and therefore why he using up his allowance, and that's helping him manage his own usage better too.
But I do think unlimited data would be a better option and I may try add a bundle on at some point if I can

tribpot Fri 03-May-13 23:31:43

In defence of teens using their allowance on YouTube, my DH did that one month watching BBC News on his iPhone, not realising that Wifi was switched off. So he was in our house the entire time <headdesk>

Anyway, I didn't ban him from further usage but it's worth keeping an eye on it - which is easier if they are phones on the same account as MillyMoo describes.

jellybeans Fri 03-May-13 23:39:44

I would go for blackberry curve. They all seem to BBM and my two teenagers are happy with theirs. Tesco capped contract is the way to go. I wouldn't get anything more expensive than that.

Euphemia France Sat 04-May-13 07:40:33

Thanks for the tip about the Tesco capped contract. smile

MTSCostcoChickenFan Sat 04-May-13 10:24:02

Recently bought DS a HTC 8S Windows 8 phone. Not many kids have Windows 8 phones so even the iPhone 5 boys were impressed smile

Hulababy Sat 04-May-13 11:10:01

Luckily dd is the responsible type. She looks after her stuff on the whole. Has had an Itouch since being 5 or 6 and its still in perfect condition, etc.

Euphemia France Sat 04-May-13 12:32:08

Does the phone warn you when you are near or at the data limit?

tribpot Sat 04-May-13 12:35:08

I'm not aware that I can do it on my iPhone but off to check now. I came across this explaining how to do it on an Android (like the Samsung).

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Sat 04-May-13 19:30:21

On Android phones you can set data alerts and caps through the settings very easily.

headlesslambrini Italy Sat 04-May-13 19:33:52

Just make sure you get a capped contract or you might end up like DSIL and end up with a phone bill for £678 as DN had linked her phone to her facebook shock

Take a look at tesco mobile.

Hulababy Sat 04-May-13 19:40:44

On my iPhone (mine isn't unlimited) I get an email/text warning me that I am near to my data limit. I don't think I can block it from going over, but it does warn me.

Hulababy Sat 04-May-13 19:42:58

My phone is linked to FB, Twitter, email, etc. In the UK I never go over my 500m data limit, nowhere near. I have mine on auto downloads/notifications for all, etc.

I think it is more downloading of videos, etc that is the issue.

tribpot Sat 04-May-13 19:49:11

But Hula you are not a teenager grin

Hulababy Sat 04-May-13 20:19:45

True but I do have my phone on a lot!

I guess it depends on your limit and how much it is thereafter.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Sat 04-May-13 20:40:14

I wouldn't buy an expensive phone until age 17/18. The likelihood of it getting stolen or lost is too high. My younger DCs ages 16 and 18 don't want IPhones as they don't want to take the risk.(and we live in a nice areagrin ) It is not that they are irresponsible it's just that expensive phones are a magnet for thieves and can get broken etc.
They have Galexy Aces @£80 plus THREE's all you can eat plan 'Ultimate Internet SIM 200' plan for £12.90 per month (monthly rolling contract)

All-you-can-eat data (no tethering)
200 minutes
5000 texts

I know this is not the cheapest way to own a phone but the ALL YOU CAN EAT data plan is great and it wouldn't be the end of the world if something did happen to the phones.

Don't forget to add the cost of insurance to any monthly cost if you get an expensive phone.

My DD has a friend at Uni who is on their 5th IPhone. The previous ones all got stolen or lost. grin

Apart from bragging rights a basic Galaxy Ace does everything an 11 year old could need. BTW. I am not anti DC's having expensive stuff I just think that carrying an expensive phone around is asking for problems for a teen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now