Which laptop to buy?

(4 Posts)
NetworkGuy Mon 04-Mar-13 13:10:41

Oooops.... > Link <

NetworkGuy Mon 04-Mar-13 13:08:07

I'd really hope that 400-500 would more than cope with your needs.

Someone on a recent thread had identified 3 or 4 laptops with 6 GB RAM and all in the 300-350 pound range, with 500 to 750 GB of storage.

Admittedly they were 15-16" screens from memory, where I'd go for 17" or larger if possible (Medion used to do an 18" screen) and with DD being a potential user, then for home use you might consider adding USB or wireless Keyboard and Mouse (*) so the laptop can be further back on a table (others have had catastrophes when a dashing child has caused a laptop to fall off the edge, or had drinks spilt in them, but with mouse and keyboard, you can protect the laptop a bit, and a full keyboard may be more suited if you are doing length reports or need a number pad).

(*) for 20-30 quid in Asda you can get Asda or Logitech wireless bundles

If you want to watch movies, look for one with HDMI output so it can be plugged into a larger TV, perhaps... I've just had a quick look and found http://is.gd/Medion_480 (479 + 6.99 delivery, inc VAT). Although not as well known, Medion has been around for some 10+ years and is based in Germany, and originally sold via Aldi stores, with English speaking support from Germany. Not sure how they have developed, but worth a look, in my view (and if I had the spare cash, I'd buy that laptop myself!).

By the time you add on MS Office (unless you use the free 'Open Office' or 'Libre Office') you'll have a hole in a higher figure smile

morethanpotatoprints Mon 04-Mar-13 01:15:12

I got a lenovo.
Xmas pressie, so don't know how much.
Its really good, once you get the hang of it.
Used in industry. excellent quality.

CookiecutterShark Sun 03-Mar-13 22:35:48

I currently have a dell laptop which has been great and met our needs well. Dd however has been allowed to play cbeebies games on it and watch netflix and it's looking a bit the worse for wear - screen no longer properly attached and the battery doesn't charge... Anyway MIL said she knew I needed a new laptop for when I go back to work and would like to buy it for me grin. She's wonderful. I looked on 'Which' and all of the best buys are too expensive and I wandered around PC World (I know, I know...) but ds was grizzling in the pushchair and I just went round in circles, so I wondered if you lot could help out.

I need:

- something costing no more than about £700
- good battery life
- clear screen
- three USB ports
- not too small a screen (not a notebook)
- preferably not too heavy, but this is less important as it will mainly be used at home

I'll use it for:

- MNing (of course!)
- other Internet use, though no gaming (and defo no cbeebies!)
- storing photos (not music or films)
- general work (am a teacher so pretty much just Microsoft Office)

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now